• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Hola from the Canarian islands

Postby Xipalma » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Xipalma

Climate Zone: USDA 11
Hello you friends with the same passion as I have!

I am in my late fourties and I have just bought a finca, that is a farm, well a small one, but with an archard of oranges, avocados and mangos and some other tropicals as I have a few guabas, bananas, papayas, and also an apple tree and a plum tree and tomatillo.

I also have veggies, and I wish to plant every inch of land! So I have started to enquire about tropical varieties... and this is a huge world.

I aim at feeding myself from the garden, including oil starch and proteins. This is for fun and for the challenge, and also because it is a quality of life, and also because I like the idea of some work to be done for the the future generation.

At the moment, I am mainly busy with renovating my home with a local builder, cleaning and making plans.

I have been reading some topics, such as erithyna edulis, because I was thinking about growing it! I try the moringa, and some also die though I do not know why, and others are 6 months old and big! I am interested also in white zapote and much more. As everybody here, I try the chirimoya, though it is difficult to get fruits and we do not know why (some try to polinate by hand without more success and some friends were so proud to announce 23 fruits coming by temselves!)

Well, I will speak in adequate topics, I just can't help being passionate.

Happy new year!

Cisca

Re: Hola from the Canarian islands

Postby Axel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest. I have visited the Canary Islands, the climate is lovely, very similar to Southern California. I was there around Xmas time, and it was in the low 80's every day. I was amazed to see African tulip trees, and a few lone coconuts here and there. In Santa Cruz de Tenerife, it seemed cooler, but more humid. Thw water in the Winter was a surprising 20C. Apparently, the Canary Islands are in the transition zone in between temperate and tropical waters. There is no thermocline, yet the water is only 20C.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby RodneyS » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Hola y bienvenidos, Cisca

Postby Xipalma » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:50 am

Xipalma

Climate Zone: USDA 11
Hola Gracias!

And La Palma is more humid than Tenerife I think... But south and north of these 2 islands are very different one from another! The south of Tenerife is very desert-like.

But I live at 500 m.... and I think I get between 300 and 800 mm / year... No one lived there before they could put pipes to irrigate.

And we have an incredibly dry winter at the moment! Some drops in October...
The temperatures dropped here around 50 in the morning last week, but today we have Calima, warm air from the Sahara, so this means nearly 80 during the day!

That would be great to compare the climate with California's, I haven't found where in the world would be similar to here...

Here, I can say on average the difference of T. between day and night is around 20°, and the difference between summer and winter is also 20°...
In summer, in MY place, the average is 64 in the morning, and 83 in the afternoon.

I cannot say my climate is tropical, as we do not get summer rain.
We have a winter rainy season and absolute dry summers.
Last rain this year: 8th of June, and first rain 22nd of september, but not much.
Usually June is dry, and May drier than this year, so I was not so surprised by the dry winter.

We also have a regular mild wind from the sea. Nov 2010 there was a strong tempest, but they are usually few of them.

So it is said we have an eternal spring... What's about California?

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login