• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Home Garden - Medicinal Plants, Rare Fruits,Fragrant Flowers

Postby S Rangarajan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:26 pm

S Rangarajan

Climate Zone: India
I am Rangarajan ( Ranga-63 yrs), retired company executive , based at Chennai -India.My hobby is Home Garden. I have a 800 Sft terrace garden with 100 pots and a 800 Sft vacant land around my house. I have a mixture of Herbal Plants (60), Flower Plants ( 80) and Tropical - Rare Fruits - 20. I am learning how to grow new plants with some seeds obtained from Thailand Malaysia,Thailand, Philippines, Central America etc via Vendors in US, France, UK and Singapore. I can share seeds of Indian Herbal Plants of any variety to co-members. Best Wishes.
S Rangarajan

Re: Home Garden - Medicinal Plants, Rare Fruits,Fragrant Flo

Postby RodneyS » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Namaste & welcome to the Cloudforest, Rangarajan!

I'm currently growing moringa & holy basil. I believe the holy basil variety is Krishna because of the purple leaves. Do you have other varieties of holy basil?

Also, what are your favorite mango varieties?

Postby nullzero » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
S Rangarajan,

Welcome! How exciting, I have been trying to collect some medicinal and useful Indian herbs and vegetables. I would love to trade some seeds sometime, not sure how cuttings would fair (and if they would be destroyed by custom officials?) Are you growing Hemidesmus indicus? (Been trying to find a source, sounds like a very healthy and tasty herb?).

Postby Xipalma » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Xipalma

Climate Zone: USDA 11
Hello Ranga, I hope to see you there on the forum, I am also a newcomer! I am very fond of medicinal plants as well.

Postby nullzero » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:36 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums XIpalma.

Postby midwest » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:24 pm

midwest

Climate Zone: 7b
welcome to the forums Rangarajan!

RodneyS wrote:Namaste & welcome to the Cloudforest, Rangarajan!

I'm currently growing moringa & holy basil. I believe the holy basil variety is Krishna because of the purple leaves. Do you have other varieties of holy basil?

Also, what are your favorite mango varieties?

Rodney, I've got a few holy basil seedlings going. I harvested the seeds from last years crop and seperated them, but they all seem to look purple. I have 4 varieties going. Vana,Krishna,Rama and Kapoor. I'd be more than happy to send you a few seedings once they get bigger.

This is a great site for a lot of medicinal stuff, out of Oregon.
Hope the link actually takes you to the holy basil page.
http://www.horizonherbs.com/search.asp?mode=results

Postby RodneyS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Thanks, midwest.

I planted the seeds from my "Krishna" & I planted Ocimum Gratissum. It was labelled with the common name "African Tree Basil" but Horizonherbs has Ocimum Gratissum as "Vana". I like how it's supposed to be perennial, although "Rama" is the most sought after medicinally. Is "Rama" annual or perennial? I would be interested in those seedlings.

Postby midwest » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:01 am

midwest

Climate Zone: 7b
RodneyS wrote:Thanks, midwest.

I planted the seeds from my "Krishna" & I planted Ocimum Gratissum. It was labelled with the common name "African Tree Basil" but Horizonherbs has Ocimum Gratissum as "Vana". I like how it's supposed to be perennial, although "Rama" is the most sought after medicinally. Is "Rama" annual or perennial? I would be interested in those seedlings.

Hey Rodney,
I know the purple is def. Rama.
Krishna has the same leaf shape as Rama but always stays green.
The Vana/African Tree Basil I've heard is the wild version of all Tulsis (holy basil)
Most herbs can be considered 'tender perennials' given that you bring them inside to protect them from the cold.
I've seen videos of Tulsi 'shrubs' planted in gardens in India. So given the right conditions, it could get massive.
I have a Vana plant right next to me, in the window with a woody pencil sized stem, that will be going back outside in the spring.

I'll definately hook you up with some of what I have when they are big enough.
probably the end of next month. Msg me you address at some point .

People say Rama is the most sought after, From my experience, Vana seems to be the strongest in the relaxing/anti stress aspect.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:07 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login