• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Indroduction from Ojai

Postby ZirconSkye » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:35 pm

ZirconSkye

Climate Zone: Sunset 23 USDA Zone 10
Hi,

I am John B from Ojai. I have enjoyed this forum for about a year now, but seldom posted. I have lived on 7 acres outside of Ojai since 1993 have had a few fruit trees - mostly citrus - but last year planted about 15 avos, 25 citrus, 15 cherries, 10 apples, a few figs, apricots, peaches, plums, jujube, pluots, almonds, pecans, walnuts, olives on the hill behind my house. Most recently planted 3 pistachios and would like to plant a few lychees. I am anxious to see how the cherries and apples will do. Some are the higher chill. I would guess we had between 4-500 chill hours this year. So I will keep you posted on my progress.

Re: Indroduction from Ojai

Postby Axel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Hi John and Welcome. I am very interested in what varieties you grow, especially the apples. Ojai is beautiful and also gets more chill than the rest of the area, so you should do quite well there with the higher chill varieties. If I where to pick a place to live down there, Ojai would be one of them. :)
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby RodneyS » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:53 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome to the CloudForest, Jon.

Postby ZirconSkye » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:21 am

ZirconSkye

Climate Zone: Sunset 23 USDA Zone 10
Thanks for the interest, Last year I planted Gala, Red Fuji, Anna, Granny Smith and Pink Lady. This year I ordered from Trees of Antiquity and have planted Winter Banana, Snow Apple Moni, Strawberry Parfait, Grimes Golden, Mutsu, Honeycrisp, Niedzwetzkyana, Pink Sparkle and Spitzenberg. These from T of A were bare root and are starting to pop. I have been influence by some of your comments Axel in making my selections. We'll see how we do. I couldn't resist putting some of them more visibly in the front of the house. Could be a mistake because they will have pretty direct southern exposure. The Honeycrisp and Spizenberg are a little more protected.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:36 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login