• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Intro from up North

Postby Triana613 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:21 am

Triana613

Climate Zone: usda 4 (CDN 5a)
I've just found your forum and thought i'd say "hi"

I'm in zone 5a (Cdn), that's ~4 USDA on nice sandy loam with 100 acre lot, approx an hour away from Ottawa Ont., moved out here from the city 5yrs ago

Most of the land is worked for crops, but there's at least 10 acres around the house a mix of field and grass that i plan to develop for permaculture crops.

In the past few years I've purchased & planted a few: pears (Asian & European), plums (European and native crosses), University of Saskatchewan cherries, strawberries & raspberries. This route would get expensive fast!

I have also started from seed: shagbark hickory, black walnut, Korean pine, Siberian pine, black cherry, xanthoceras sorbifolium, pawpaw (Assimina triloba), persimmon (Diospyros virginiana), Aronia, japanese quince, asian pears, Princepia cherry, Nanking cherry and as many other Prunus spp i could get seeds from (at least 10 varieties last count, some may actually bloom this year!). I keep reading and finding more seeds to try each year. I have a nursery bed set up while they get established.

After researching and attending a workshop, last year I tried grafting and was successful with 1 pear graft, so hoping to do more.

I now understand the statement "so many seeds, so little time" .

I look forward to exchanging info with those of you who have grown interesting edibles.

Re: Intro from up North

Postby RodneyS » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:35 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Greetings Triana,
Hope you avail yourself of the vast knowledge from your fellow Cloudforesters. Yes, it's a waiting game now for you. Heat mats can help!

Postby nullzero » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums, sounds like you are going to have a interesting variety of fruiting trees and plants in the future. A lot of good things to grow out in the colder climates; Honeyberry (Lonicera caerulea var. edulis), Gooseberry, and many others.

Postby MikeH » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:32 am

MikeH

Climate Zone: US Zone 4a 44.26548, -77.96003
Triana613 wrote:I look forward to exchanging info with those of you who have grown interesting edibles.

Are you interested in doing some trades? PM me if you are.

Mike

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:21 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login