• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Introducing Batwing (that's me)

Postby Batwing » Thu May 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Batwing

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9
Obviously, I love gardening. I live in Berkeley, California, zone 9. I have a large yard with a year round creek going through it. Problem is there's not much sun due to lots of birch trees, a huge black oak and others. I came upon this wonderful site looking for how to cultivate Actinidia arguta from cuttings. On my property there are two areas about 150 sq. ft. each that get a half day of sun (about 6 hours). I see there are some very experienced and knowledgable gardeners here and I'm thrilled to join this 'community of eclectic gardeners'. I'm semi-retired, teaching music part-time out of my home studio. I am the east bay coordinator for Guitars Not Guns (www.guitarsnotguns.org) supplying free guitar lessons and free guitars to inner city kids-at-risk and foster children. I go by 'Batwing' for several reasons known to a few of my personal friends of many years. I thank you all for being here and sharing. I have a lot to learn!

Batwing

Re: Introducing Batwing (that's me)

Postby Axel » Thu May 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome, Batwing. With the lack of sunlight, the hardy kiwi is actually an excellent choice you have made. They prefer some shade.

When you propagate kiwis, you will want to use green soft wood and propagate with bottom heat, just like you would do with passion vines. Unfortunately, older wood will just rot. In fact, they are notoriously easy to kill if the vines get mulched and/or the base of the vine gets lined with soil.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Batwing » Thu May 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Batwing

Thanks, Axel! A fellow Californian. I love the Santa Cruz Mountains. Spent a lot of time there my first decade here in the 80's.
I'll shop for a heat pad for this. Should I trim the leaves off the green soft wood sections? I was reading they should be 6 to 8'' with two nodes. I have an old jar of rooting hormone powder I can dab them with.

Postby RodneyS » Thu May 12, 2011 6:35 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Greetings Batwing! Welcome to our cafe

Postby Batwing » Mon May 16, 2011 10:19 am

Batwing

Thanks, Rodney.

Postby ellen in berkeley » Wed May 18, 2011 10:38 am

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
Hi Batwing.
Which creek runs through your place? I've been eyeing the local creekside properties for a long time.
I haven't had much success with arguta, so I'll want to hear how they work for you.

Postby Brian » Thu May 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
I keep my fushias, currents, and gooseberry in the shade out here in Concord as well as when I had them stashed in Albany. There's a lot that will do OK in the shade.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login