• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Introducing myself..

Postby Delmar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 am

Delmar

Climate Zone: 9b
Hello,

New to this site. I've gardened most of my life; have a B.S. degree in Horticulture and have managed/directed both public and private gardens for 25 years. I love growing everything though my rare fruit experience is only just beginning. The more I learn, the more there is to learn; It's what I love about horticulture; so many avenues to explore. It's also daunting because I still feel like a rookie after so many years. But it keeps me moving through the work.
I have a small Biodynamic farm in the Santa Cruz Mtns. with my partner Carin. We experiment a lot. Some of the things we have are Mashua, Oca, Yacon, Ugni berries, Feijoa, Currants, Elderberries, Ice Cream bean (in a greenhouse), Cardoon, Asparagus, gooseberries, sea buckthorn, and paw paws.....Some things coming soon are various Eleagnus spp., Jostaberry, Sapote, and Hablitzia.
I look forward to learning and contributing to this site.
Delmar

Re: Introducing myself..

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 am

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Good to have you here. Many people here are looking for Mashua, Oca and Yacon tubers so you will find many friends. :)

Postby RodneyS » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:17 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome, Delmar

Postby nullzero » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:32 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome Delmar, great list of edible food crops you are growing. I am growing some of the same, I love fresh Yacon juice!

Postby Delmar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Delmar

Thank you all...I look forward to more communiques.

Postby Axel » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome, Delmar, I am in the Santa Cruz mountains as well, but only at 500 feet elevation. I also have an ice cream bean, but it's growing outside, and it's about 25 feet tall. It gets a little burn every year, the last freeze we had hit it a little bit as usual. But every year it gets bigger and thus a smaller and smaller percentage burns.

I also apply some biodynamic principles, but I am not a purist.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Delmar » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:50 am

Delmar

Thanks for the info...yes, I will put the Ice Cream bean into the ground this spring...we're 3 miles from the coast...about 750 feet, so sounds like it will do fine here. Can you grow cherimoya?

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:17 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login