• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Introduction... finally!

Postby Riglpo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Riglpo

Climate Zone: 9B
Hello all, Though I joined a month or so ago I never actually posted an introduction with a few pics of my garden and such. Summer here in Florida is glorious for the plant enthusiast and I've spent every spare minute out of doors working on garden projects. The computer seems so boring afterward! I've loved plants my whole life, grew up in Amish country Ohio, worked on organic farms in Germany, harvested mangos for a living in Merritt Island, FL, amongst other endeavors. I currently live in Orlando, FL and have been passionately studying, learning, and applying permaculture here in my small lot in Downtown. Most would never guess I'm in Downtown Orlando:

This is a picture looking at my yard from about halfway to the street. The bamboo trellis is covered with Seminole Pumpkin and Black-Eyed Peas right now. The section where the trellis is was the "orginal" garden but as we know they tend to spread. In this section I have a four papayas (red lady and waimanalo), blue berry (gulf coast and emerald), sweet potatoes, pineapple, heirloom peppers and tomatoes, cranberry hibiscus okinawan spinach, cape gooseberry, peanuts, okra, hot peppers and a 'wonderful' pomegranate which borders this section.
To the right of the house one can see (hopefully!) various Musa sp. (bananas and plantains). This was my first greywater system I built earlier this year. Here is a very early picture of the system, essentially right after I built it:

The white pipe is my shower/bath water. Since there are two of us the bananas get watered twice a day. They LOVE the nutrients! My goals here as I'm in Orlando and often have intense freezes (for tropicals) was to build, maintain and utilize heat for frost protection. There are a few ways I'm doing this: 1) the canopy of the red cedar behind the bananas protects from frost 2) the red brick wall absorbs heat 3) the compost in the middle 4) warm shower water 5) south facing heat trap. We will see if my little experiment works! I think they are happy as this was taken 3 weeks ago, about 2 1/2 months after planting:

In between the bananas are sweet potatoes and taro. At the base of each banana group are a few black-eyed pea plants, for eating but also for nitrogen fixation. There's also some perennial peanut in there.

The second part of my front garden which was outlined with all that marble is my second greywater system which uses the water from my washing machine. In this setup the water goes first into a bathtub constructed with baffles inside, filled with rocks and planted with aquatics like Pickerel weed, cat tails, smart weed, etc. to filter the water. It then pours into a taro pond with 4-5 different taros (love taro!), then flows into a small fish pond filled with non-edible aquatics (edibles coming soon!). Finally it over flowers into a drain basin of sorts that currently has a Rulo Plantain (very high yield) some native swamp plants but will soon have a Jaboticaba as well. Here is an older from 1 month ago but you can get the idea:

As can be seen in the first pic, the burm has been trimmed out and planted since this pic. The plantings in the burm as of this typing are: 2 goji berries, purple sweet potatoes, tree tomato, Moringa oleifera, Carica pubescens (mountain papaya, trying to find Babaco!).

Here's a pic from a few weeks ago of my first Waimanalo Papaya. Much larger now of course!

Otherwise I have a side section to my yard, no pictures, that has timber bamboo, neem tree, and mexican sunflower. Sort of my "utility" section Lastly I have a black surinam cherry close to the banana/greywater guild and a fig (not sure which one) next to that.

Next plantings are going to be a cold hardy Avocado (probably Lula, Choquette or Monroe) and I have a very late season Mango, Choc-anon, on its way to me as I type. Can't wait!

So that's my garden. I've managed to squeeze a lot in a very small space.
So excited about this site here and very thankful I've found it! I'm looking forward to "getting to know" everyone here and contributing here and there.

Re: Introduction... finally!

Postby nullzero » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:21 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Riglpo,

Welcome to the forums! Love what you have been doing with the garden, everything looks so healthy. Great use of Permaculture methods! I am growing taro, sweet potato, and bananas as well (however in a much different setting). Does the banana location receive full sun? (It looked like the Red cedar may give part shade to that area).

Riglpo, have you looked into using Asian Winged Beans, as a perennial nitrogen fixer and fully edible crop?

Postby Gringo Bob » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Gringo Bob

Climate Zone: zone 17
Rigplo-
You look like an artist. And, your landscaping (unfinished as it may be) looks like art ! Nice work. Glad to have someone with your experience on board ! Welcome to the Cloudforest !

Postby RodneyS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:47 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Bienvenidos a la Cloudforest, Rigplo

Postby Riglpo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Riglpo

Climate Zone: 9B
nullzero wrote:Riglpo,
Does the banana location receive full sun? (It looked like the Red cedar may give part shade to that area).

Riglpo, have you looked into using Asian Winged Beans, as a perennial nitrogen fixer and fully edible crop?

It gets full sun for about 6 hours before other trees (not shown) shade it. Its really convenient having the cedar there for catching frost and the sun angles in there perfectly.

Re: asian winged beans: I've heard of them and that is a great idea... replanting is so much work;-) I'll have to look into them.

RodneyS wrote:Bienvenidos a la Cloudforest, Rigplo

Muchisimas gracias Rodney! My friend didn't have those worms btw, though now you've made me want to find them too.

Gringo Bob wrote:Rigplo-
Welcome to the Cloudforest !

Thank you Gringo Bob! I'm enjoying everything I see here. Ahhh other plant enthusiasts.

Postby RodneyS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
I bought some European nightcrawlers awhile ago, and they've already consumed half their bedding. I bury some fruit/veggie scraps about once a week, along with a sprinkle of chicken lay mash every now & then. That, along with some occasional misting, and that's it. Euro's are 2-3 times larger than Red Wigglers, which makes them great for bass/catfish/other game fish.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:33 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login