• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Introduction from Azusa, CA

Postby anthropas » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:29 pm

anthropas

Climate Zone: USDA 8b Sunset 21
Hello All,

My name is Steve and I'm a new member living in Azusa, California. Over the last year I've become interested in fruit trees after seeing some of Tom Spellman's you tube videos on backyard over culture. This opened my eyes on what's possible in a small space (such as the one I own). I think I have caught the "bug". I personally have only about 200 square feet of backyard that must be shared with my wife's roses and our four year old. Despite that, I have a Santa Rose plum, Fuji apple, 3 in 1 anna/dorset golden/fuji apple and a 3 in 1 Asian pear (shinko, shinseki, hosui), and a compact Stella cherry.

Because of my lack of space, I'm trying to grow these trees in large containers. I'm not sure what luck I'll have, so I'm trying to do this on the cheap. I've found that 19 gallon "rope tubs" are as big as a 22" container and are similar plastic quality to most other plastic pots. The difference is that they cost $5 instead of $20. I'd love to hear feedback from any other city dwellers without land who have tried container fruit trees and any advice they have to offer.

My wife is from India and is watching to see if I'm successful as well because if I am, she'd love to see me try to grow some mango, papaya and other varieties of fruits from her home state in Kerala. I know many of you do that now, so I would appreciate links to posts that discuss what varieties of mangoes, guavas, papayas ect do well here. A big thanks to Axel for creating a space like this to share and learn!

Re: Introduction from Azusa, CA

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Welcome! If your wife is from India I am almost certain she would be excited if you started growing a Curry Leaf tree. They will grow very well down there. Guavas will be easy, all will grow well for you. You will have a harder time with papaya, probably a bit too cold there without a lot of TLC. Mangoes should be fine. I'll let someone else comment on which varieties to try though.

Postby nullzero » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:36 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Hi welcome to the forums. You should have a good climate to grow (sunset zone 21) most subtropicals. I would recommend a good condo mango like Pickering. They should do well in a 15 gal container. I am growing Julie mango and Ewais mango outdoors. Both mangoes are doing well and stay outdoors in containers all year round (no fruit yet).

Jason recommending good plants Guavas and Curry Leaf. Papayas can be tender to the cold in the winter, would have to ask someone for a cold tolerant variety.

Postby anthropas » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 am

anthropas

Climate Zone: USDA 8b Sunset 21
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. I should have mentioned that we have been growing a curry leaf in a container for a little over a year now. Once we switched to azalea fertilizer it started to grow much faster. Alex from papayatree nursery has some good instructions/advice on his website and a video of him pruning his curry tree that is mind bending.

As far as mangoes go, what luck have people had with the Manila mangoes available from the big box stores? We have an aunt who is growing a couple from seed, but we haven't gotten a fruit yet. How long does it typically take for mangoes to fruit?

Thanks!

Postby RodneyS » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:40 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Greetings & Salutations!

I think the rope tubs, which are used for holding beers & ice, degrade over time when exposed to the sun.

Mangoes & guavas will do fine. With papaya, it depends on the variety. The Mexican varieties should do well. I lost all of my Waimanalo seedlings, but I still have 3 Sunrise papaya plants thriving.

Some other plants your wife might like-
Moring oleifera (Horseradish tree, Drumstick Tree)
Sapodilla (Chico, Chiku)
Mango (Alphonso/Kesar)
Bananas
Avocado
Citrus (Kaffir lime, Ranpoor lime)
Mulberry (Pakistani, Persian)

Postby shawnb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:58 am

shawnb
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 10b/11 Sunset 23/24
Azusa aint too bad. You have some good recommendations already, just wanted to say welcome. The Meridol papaya will do just fine for you but you will need to replace them every few years if growing in a tub. Your not all that far from Mimosa L.A. nursery, I would suggest going there and asking them about compact growers that will do well in your area, very nice people with a great selection. I will keep an eye out for the local curry leaf trees to fruit. When they do I will post about them. Super easy from seed and a must for Indian cooking.
Shawn

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:23 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login