• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Introduction from So. Calif.

Postby eNorm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:09 am

eNorm

Climate Zone: 10a
I’ve been a regular reader of the Cloudforest Café since at least 2006. I feel like I know many of you, based on my many years as a “lurker” ;) . I appreciate all the work that has gone in to make this place an informational and familiar place to visit.

I live in So. Calif. and have started growing dragon fruit in 2003 when I couldn’t get any named or superior varieties at that time. Since 2003, I’ve added many other fruiting plants than I have room for. Currently, I am growing dragon fruit, cherimoya, atemoya, jaboticaba, sugar apple, star apple, grumichama, cherry of rio grande, surinam cherry, mango, miracle fruit, garcinia, guava, white sapote, mulberry, biriba, banana, pineapple, avocado, loquat, persimmon, and jujube. Some of the more traditional stuff that I grow includes citrus, plum, peach, nectarine, blackberry, blueberry, cherry, and strawberry.

In my new location, I have not had any frost so far. I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed. Where I previously lived about 4 miles away, I would have several weeks of ice scraping each winter.

I can’t say I’ll be a frequent participant, but I’m glad to be here in the Cloudforest.

eNorm

Re: Introduction from So. Calif.

Postby Axel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:57 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest. Sounds like you have quite a collection of tropical fruits. I am curious to know if your sugar apple has fruited for you in Southern California. And which cherries are you growing?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby eNorm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:57 am

eNorm

Hi Axel,

Thank you for the welcome. My sugar apples are still young and grown from seed, so there may be difficulties in the future. However, I am aware of others who are growing and fruiting sugar apple. I myself have never tasted one. As for the cherries, they came with the property and I'm unaware of any particular variety. I've been at this property for a little more than a year and have only had two very tiny cherries from these trees. They seem to flower fine, but I'm not sure if it's an issue with cross pollination or chilling requirements? The two that I have tasted very sweet, but about the size of a small blueberry. There seems to be one larger tree and many shoots coming up within several feet away. Are these likely shoots from rootstock? I wanted to wait two seasons to determine if I should graft over them if I can get a hold of some scions in the future.

Postby RodneyS » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:13 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Greetings Norm,
You might be my neighbor, considering we're in the same climate zone. How old/big is your caimito(star apple). That's a fruit tree that I want to add to my collection. Also, which banana varieties do you have? I have Dwarf Red, Dwarf Namwah & Goldfinger.

Postby eNorm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:32 pm

eNorm

Hey Rodney,

I'm actually to the Northeast of you. I have a purple and green caimito grown from seed. It's only about a year old, so pretty small still. Seeds were given to me from Hawaii, so I said what the heck. I have no idea how well they will do for me. The bananas that I am growing are Tall Brazillian, Dwarf Brazillian, Goldfinger, Dwarf Namwah, Dwarf Red, Rajapuri, and Super Dwarf 'Novak'.

Postby nullzero » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:35 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Great collection, welcome to the forms. Always up for future plant trades and sharing seeds etc. Look forward to your future posting.

Postby eNorm » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:37 pm

eNorm

Thanks nullzero. I look forward to it as well.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login