• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Introduction from New Member

Postby Spidra » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Spidra

Climate Zone: 10a
Hi. I've know of Cloudforest Cafe for years but when I've tried to join before, I've been unable to. For some reason it works for me now...

I've been into growing edibles since I was a little kid. (Despite the fact that there were no gardeners, much less edible gardeners, in my family to learn from.) However, there was a long hiatus when I was living in places where I didn't have a yard or balcony. I got back into growing in 2004. I found out about and joined CRFG at that time.

For a while, I was a co-owner of a home so I had a nice sized backyard to learn in. I did mostly edible landscaping. I was forced to sell the home in 2010 and now live in a place where I have 2 small raised beds in part shade and some room for container growing. It's a big difference and I'm able to grow far fewer things. However, I'm learning about growing things in pots that aren't meant to be grown in pots like apples, cherries and peach family fruits. I also had to move from the SF Bay Area to the Los Angeles area. While I very much want to return to the Bay Area, I'm trying to take advantage of the increased heat here as much as my living conditions allow me to.

I haven't tried to grow anything really tropical - I don't have a greenhouse. The things I've attempted that have been on the edge of possibility were growing naranjilla in Berkeley (killed in a frost), dwarf Orinoco bananas in Berkeley (a bit frost damaged but I had to sell the house before I really knew how it was going), growing 'Gravenstein' apples in South Pasadena (which is going well so far), and growing deciduous fruit trees in pots that are likely far too small for them. I suppose I should learn true bonsai techniques.

I track my garden at MyFolia and there are loads of pictures of both the Berkeley garden and the South Pasadena garden there. http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra

I look forward to soaking in the expertise at Cloudforest!

Re: Introduction from New Member

Postby sanjosefool » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:51 pm

sanjosefool

Climate Zone: San Jose 9b
Welcome Spidra! (A few days late!!)

It is great up here in the SF Bay area. However, as you said SoCal has advantages for growing tropicals over us.

You should try guavas, they are productive in pots. FIgs are great container plants as well. Have fun while you are down there...

Postby nullzero » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums!

Postby Spidra » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Spidra

Climate Zone: 10a
Thank you! I have a lemon guava here that I planted when I was 14. I thought I was buying a strawberry guava but the nursery mislabeled it. I've got a 'Panache' fig in a small pot here. Got 3 figs off it this year. ;-)

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
You should be able to grow some really cool things down there.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:30 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login