• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Introduction

Postby epitree » Mon May 09, 2011 8:39 pm

epitree
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9
Hi from New Zealand I grow a lot of epiphytes up in the trees of my garden which is a sub tropical style zone 9a my garden can be viewed at
http://www.epiphytetree.com/
I also grow unusual plants such as Amorphophallus, Dracunculus plus bananas and palms.
epitree.

Re: Introduction

Postby RodneyS » Mon May 09, 2011 8:48 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome to the Cloudforest, epitree!

Pitayas/Dragonfruit have attractive flowers

Postby Axel » Mon May 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest.

I took a look at your website, I am thoroughly impressed, and also really curious about your climate and which epiphytes you are successful with. I've been wanting to do that here for a long time, i just don't know which epiphytes would work.

This picture is from your website, what kind of a tree is that, and how many epiphytes do you have in there?

Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby epitree » Mon May 09, 2011 10:01 pm

epitree
Cloudforest Expert

The tree is a Pin oak (Quercus palustris)Number of epiphytes unknown its an on going project probably never finish check out epiphyte photos Album on web site when you have time Also New zealand epiphytes in situ album
epitree

Postby epitree » Tue May 10, 2011 9:10 pm

epitree
Cloudforest Expert

Axel Here is a link to some climate information you might find useful
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index. ... ent=C04017 Unfortunately it says nothing about the wind which negates a lot of most rainfall I still have to water the plants in the tree even in winter but never if a frost is predicted The problem is i live at the foot of 952 meter mountain part of a mountain range and the winds come roaring down the mountain up to 180 kph in extreme weather but mostly only 120 kph during storms.
epitree

Postby Axel » Tue May 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Now that I see your location, i went ahead and found a site that actually lists the highs and lows. The one you picked only shows the all day average, which doesn't say anything to me.

http://www.climate-charts.com/Locations/n/NZ9300000B755710.php

Based on the above, it looks like your temperatures are just about identical to ours here in Santa Cruz. We are also at the foot of the Santa Cruz mountains, the highest peak is around 800 meters. But you have more regular rainfall. We are bone dry from around April to around November, but occasionally we get a little more early or late rains.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby epitree » Wed May 11, 2011 12:31 am

epitree
Cloudforest Expert

Sorry, all i worry about with the weather really is frosts as i have unlimited access to water really because we are not on a water meter .it sounds to me as though most epiphytes would not grow without a huge amount of water where you are as its simply not moist enough even in my garden for them to do very well without help.Although masses of them grow naturally in the bush(temperate rain forest) its a lot wetter than in an exposed garden situation.
epitree

Postby epitree » Fri May 13, 2011 7:29 pm

epitree
Cloudforest Expert

Axel I just went and did a quick stock take of whats growing up the pin oak
sorry cant list all the proper names here Also dont know lots of them .And when I say 5 cacti for instance that does not count different cultivars of the same plant.
Ferns 9 ,Orchids 12 ,Cacti 5 ,Collospermum ,Astellia 2 ,Hoya ,Bromeliads 24 ,
Non epiphytes
Melicytus ramiflorus ,Leptospermum scoparium ,Pittosporum ,Fuschia ,Bamboo ,Dianella nigra ,Agapanthus ,Iris japonica ,Yucca elephantipes ,Chlorophytum comosum ,Phormium cookianum ,Euphorbia milii ,Succulents 2 ,Freycinetia baueriana

Postby Axel » Fri May 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Axel
Site Admin

We are really dry here, and I don't have access to unlimited water, so this may not be an option to grow these things.

I suppose if I used some sort of misting system, it might work. I don't know.

Postby epitree » Fri May 13, 2011 8:07 pm

epitree
Cloudforest Expert

Hi axel I would sugest sticking to tillandsias still need a water occasionally though in your driest months .Remember bromeliads hold water in there centers so maybe an occassional top up would work Dont write the idea off try stuff Can any body grow Platycerium bifurcatum near you would only need a good water weekly if it was a decent sized specimen a small one would dry out very quickly. Shame I cant send you a box or two of plants to play around with as most of mine are now large clumps and thats also why I dont know the names of lots of things i keep swapping stuff and quite often the person im swapping with does not even know what an epiphyte is let alone what that plant in their garden is called.
What about your Native ressurrection fern (Polypodium polypodioides) Im sure you could start it low down on a trunk and see how far up it will climb before it gets to dry to continue Also of course spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides) it grew really well for me but the birds pinched it all to make their nests in the spring -Cannot win sometimes.

Next

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login