• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Its about time... for an introduction.

Postby Silas_AllSpice » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:57 am

Silas_AllSpice

Climate Zone: Sunset 16/17; USDA 9b/10a
After the recent crash and burn of my laptop, just before I was to post pictures from my trip to the Huntington no doubt, I figured it was about time I formally introduced myself here, even though its been several months since I joined.

In any event, thinking about it, while my primary focus is tropicals and exotics, there isn't one group of plants which stands out when compared to others. To me, they're all important. Outside in what I have desiginated to be the mini container ranch, are several species of palms, flowering exotics, epiphytes, cacti and succulents, and tropical edibles.

A natural green thumb since i grew my first vegatables as a kid, most of my knowledge in botany and horticulture is thanks to many hours carefully studying any book I could find at the library, uncountable hours scouring the internet reasearching something, as well as the experiences gained through growing any seeds I could get my hands on. Simply put, while most of my classmates in highschool were out partying after a football game, I was at home in the garden, reading some book about palms or desert natives, or out exploring the hills around the Almaden valley looking for new plants to try back home, or simply studying the different habitats they evolved in.

Since those days, ive lived in 3 states and only recently returned to San Jose. While my fascination with tropicals has always been, it wasn't until I lived in Ohio and aquired my first plumerias on a trip to Florida that I decided to pursue my passion.
Before that, landscaping or working in a nursery was something to do when not working nights in a college bar, or a summer job when working in grocery retail.

These days, you couldn't pay me enough to sit behind a desk. While currently working in one back here in california, im hoping to pursue my own nursery in the next few years and continue to educate people on how to push the boundries of what they can grow.

If I could pick one pet peeve, above all others, which irks me the most, its the " it won't grow here" attitude which ive come to expect too often or all the unimaginative options too which are recommended too often. Thats usually when I pull out the camera and show pictures of some of what has done well far from where its "supposed" to survive.

While fully aware of the limits the climate here presents, or what i couldn't grow in florida,(studied meterology about as long as plants) experience continues to prove that there are many increadble options out there besides what one commonly encounters.

A sample from my collections include:

Tropical fruits:
Allspice
Ice cream bean, seedlings survived the jan. freeze.
Jabatocaba
Both florida black and chumba Surinam cherry.
Longan, seedling also survived

Flowering:
Beaumontia grandiflora
8 species of Erythrina
Nashia inaugens- brought back here from florida, done well since
Guaiacum coulteri
Megaskepasma
Acacia farnesiana
Brunfelsia pilosa
Cordia parvifolia
Arroyo sweetwood

Palms:
Chambeyronia macrocarpa, just aquired a second specimen
Chamadorea metallica, tepijilote, oblongata, microspadix, radicalis
Kentiopsis oliviformis
Copernica sp, just germinated two dozen seeds

All of that and more hanging out together in a tiny yard in south San Jose. Long overdue pictures from huntington, San Diego, Arizona trip #2, and updates from the garden to come, as soon as I get my new laptop.

Nathan silas, cloudie id: silas allspice

Re: Its about time... for an introduction.

Postby Mike T » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:30 am

Mike T

Climate Zone: 12/13
Howdy Nathan, that is a noble set of interests and a good collection. I too am interested in meteorology and cool tolerances in tropicals. Dragonfruit, lychees,mangosteens,durians and Lansium domesticum are example of species with varieties have a huge range of preferred climates and cold tolerances.
Cheers
Mike T

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:07 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login