• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Please say hello to Jason in Palo Alto

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Hi, I'm Jason :D
I've been into edibles since I was young. Growing up on the Monterey Bay I was initially into foraging edibles as a kid then and a little bit into fruit growing later on. My first fruit tree was a lemon tree. My dad does landscaping and gardening so plants were always around. We had an apple tree with a dozen varieties grafted on, I never even realized that it was unusual.
A little over 2.5 years ago we got our first house in East Palo Alto, at the same time my daughter was born. I wanted to re-landscape our yard and decided to look into what plants could be grown in our area. I was astounded by all of the fruits that could be grown and got the bug to discover as much as I can and get 1 of everything.
I've got about 2000 sq. ft of growing space I've planted so far. Everything is still young and other than an established orange, lemon and peach tree the land was bare. My main interest is gardening is now fruit with an emphasis on the rare and exotic.
Here is a list of all of the types of fruit (I think) that I am growing along with only a few of the cultivars:

Temperate:
Apples, Apricots, Blackberry, Boysenberry, Cherry, Fig, Grape, Kiwi, Hardy Kiwi, Mulberry (Black Beauty, Pakistan), Nectarine, Peach, Pear, Persimmon, Plum, Pluot, Pomegranate, Raspberry

Citrus:
Calamondin, Citron (Buddha's Hand), Lemon, Lime, Mandarin (Owari Satsuma, Kinnow, Dancy), Orange

Sub-Tropical and other:
Avocado (Stewart), Banana (Ice Cream), Black Sapote, Cherimoya, Capulin Cherry (need an ID), Cherry of Rio Grande, Coffee, Curry-leaf tree, Dragon Fruit, Fuchsia (Denticulata, Boliviana, Procumbens, Splendens), Goji, Ground Cherry (Physalis Peruviana), Dwarf Grumichama (Eugenia itaguahiensis), Chilean Guava (Ugni Molinae), Pineapple Guava, Strawberry Guava, Tropical Guava, Ice Cream Bean, Jaboticaba, Macadamia (Beaumont), Maihuenia poeppigii, Malabar Chestnut (Pachira Aquatica), Mango (Manila, Ataulfo seedling), Naranjilla, Papaya, Babaco Papaya, Passionfruit (Frederick), Pineapple, Pitomba, Natal Plum, Pouteria Hypoglauca (Cinnamon-apple), Prickly Pear, Surinam Cherry, Tree Tomato (Tamarillo), Wax jambu (white), White Sapote

All of the Temperate and Citrus varieties I have generally thrive although I may give up on cherries and kiwis. The kiwis just suck up water and look ragged in the summer, but springtime they look lush. All of the bolded sub-tropicals have been proven through winter here and have been problem free. Again, most of these plants are only < 2 years at my place so very little has fruited yet.

I'm also interested in interesting vegetables. For tuber crops we have done oca, yacon, ulloco, jerusalem artichoke and potatoes. We also have friends who are way into tomatoes and ended up with ~40 tomato plants of a dozen cultivars this year.

In addition to the plants we have 9 hens and a rooster to throw yard and food waste to, in return they give us fertilizer and eggs.
So if anyone is ever in the area you can contact me and stop by for a tour. Oh and as an added temptation we are only a few blocks from Ikea. :D

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login