• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Please say hello to jason in portugal

Postby jason in portugal » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:27 am

jason in portugal

Climate Zone: 10a
Hi, my name is Jason and I have been here in the cloudforest cafe for about 11 years. I have met many people here and thanks to our meetings my collection is really big now. I have tropical and subtropical fruit trees, palms and ornamentals. You could say that I have just about everything that works here including many that should not but do work for me.

Márcio, nice to see you here. If I'm not mistaken you almost bought a car from me about 12 years ago. I have moved since then and have evrything in the ground and my plants are now large trees. Send me a message and we can meet again.

Cheers Jason

Re: Please say hello to jason in portugal

Postby Axel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:53 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome Jason. I remember you from way back when the Cloudforest first started. It's great to have you back.

Jason, do you still have all the rollinias in your greenhouse?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby jason in portugal » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:24 pm

jason in portugal

Axel, i have had 2 planted out for the past 2 years . One is sativa or silvatica and i can´t remember the other one. They are surviving well here. Cheers jason

Postby Axel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Did you ever get rollinia emarginata going? Mine are barely growing, they seem to need more heat than what we get here.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby jason in portugal » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:12 am

jason in portugal

Hmmmm...I think that is the other one I have. it is slower growing than the sylvatica but it looks good. I'll have to ask my friend who gave it to me to id it. Cheers Jason

Postby Miguel.pt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Miguel.pt

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9a
Hello Jason

I confirm the other one is Rollinia emarginata...

I have my Rollinias on the GH and in fact the R.emarginata has one small fruit growing now... it's only some 5 or 6 mm now and it spent the all winter with just some 3 mm diameter... apparently it resumed growth these last 2 or 3 weeks.

Both Rollinias (sylvatica and emarginata) are more or less 2 m high and only 3 or 4 years old... the sylvatica did not flowered yet.

I do have another one now; I think is Rollinia salicifolia (or longifolia?)... there's one here for you too Jason (if you want it ?)

Just another curiosity: this winter I left one of each outside and the sylvatica is dead...but surprisingly the emarginata is still alive after several nigths of -5 and -6ºC.

Miguel.pt

Postby Axel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Rollinia emarginata is very hardy. It can take quite a bit of cold from what I have read. In fact, Art Schroeder proposed to use it as a rootstock for cherimoyas because of it's hardiness. I don't know if it would make cherimoyas any hardier. I've observed that it has a distinct deciduous behavior as an adaptation to cold.

Postby jason in portugal » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:03 pm

jason in portugal

Hey Miguel,
What a way for us to chat again. My sylvatica is also about 2m tall and my emarginata about 70cm. Both are outside as you know and not very far from each other and are the same age. Sylvatica did much better throughout the winter. Of course I would like to try another rollinia. RGS cherry is about to flower as is capulin and macadamia. I´m thinking of chopping down the guaranai. it grows so much and I don´t know how to use the fruit. Do you know how to use it?
Grande abraço
jason

Postby Miguel.pt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Miguel.pt

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9a
Olá Jason

I just eat the white part of the "eye" and discard the black seed...the white stuff is sweetish...

My brasilian friend says on is book that the seeds can be processed into Guaraná bars, but that involves roasting, grinding and processing of the seeds... and it seems a lot of work and trouble to me...

I just consider it a "conversation piece"... not many Portuguese can have Guaraná fruiting here.

I have a lot of new stuff flowering also ( Eugenia neonitida, Eugenia calycina, campomanesias, etc...) but my new job doesn't give me enough free time to take care of all... so thing are a little bit abandoned...

What about your family... bigger already?

Abraço
Miguel

Postby jason in portugal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:26 pm

jason in portugal

Yes Miguel. Luna was born on the 12 of this month. That makes 4 children now. What r u up to on sunday? Hugs Jason

Next

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login