• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Please Welcome John S from Portland

Postby John S » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 pm

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
Hello,
My name is John S and I live near Portland, Oregon. I can't grow a lot of the fruits that you Californians can but I keep busy with what I've got.
Temperate fruits: Apple (many heirloom and crabs), Hungarian, pie and sweet cherry, pear/shipova, peach, plum, sea berry, black mulberry, American persimmon,grapes (american labrusca fox grapes, blueberries, strawberries, currant, gooseberry, arctic, hardy, fuzzy kiwi,autumn olive, goumi, tea, windmill palm, medlar, pawpaw, arbutus unedo, thornless blackberry, raspberries,
Subtropical: pomegranate, ichang lemon, flying dragon, pineapple guava, Chilean guava, Himalayan honeysuckle, European palm,
Many leaf vegetables because I'm tired and lazy.
I also run a gardening club at the elementary school I teach at.
I have done some guerrilla gardening and I'm interested in permaculture, storage fruit, and I use compost tea regularly. I also graft many varieties of fruit.

My kids and wife love the eating of the fruit but are less excited about the other work :)
John S
PDX OR

Re: Please Welcome John S from Portland

Postby DavidLJ48 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:56 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Yes, John, we can grow a bit more here in CA. But having lived in John Day Oregon for 17 years, I know too, that we cannot grow apples and many berries like you can up there. You win, every time. They just do not have the flavor and sweetness down here.

We do not have your cooler temps and volcanic soils.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login