• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Welcome lisascenic from Oakland

Postby lisascenic » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:33 am

lisascenic

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 17
Hello everyone!

After years of apartment dwelling, and cramming little gardens in wherever I could, I recently bought a tiny historic house with a tiny overgrown garden. (If I wanted to start a business based on selling invasive plants of California, I'd be all set!)

Our tiny urban garden in Oakland California has an old overgrown plum tree, probably Santa Rosa, and a number of volunteer plums, on which I'm trying to teach myself grafting. We've got a lovely old lemon tree of unknown variety (probably Meyer) and a Fuyu persimmon that was horribly butchered when the house was put on the market.

My plan is to plant an urban orchard in the front yard. At the moment, most of my fruit trees are in pots, pending the completion of some major house work.

I'm not a native Californian, so it's challenging to apply what I do know about East Coast gardening to the climate of the Bay Area.

We have a greywater system, and we keep bees. I have to remind myself that gardening is patient endeavor, and that what we have now is so much better than the vine choked weed patch that we had when we moved in.

Re: Welcome lisascenic from Oakland

Postby Axel » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome Lisa, glad to hear you're keeping bees, we lost our hive this Fall after I cut down a big tree that was providing critical Summer afternoon shade. The heat was too much stress on the hive. I have a bee package coming in April. But since I've been keeping bees for three years now, the whole neighborhood is buzzing with bees. Even without bees in my garden this last month, all the fruit trees were covered in bees. So yes, everyone should keep bees to re-populate them.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Re: Welcome lisascenic from Oakland

Postby lisascenic » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:39 pm

lisascenic

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 17
Sorry you lost your bees, Axel. Have you considered trying to catch a feral swarm? They tend to be more "locally adapted."

Catching swarms is bizarrely fun!

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login