• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

looking for Wax jambu of various cultivar

Postby MARLONLARA » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm

MARLONLARA

Climate Zone: 8B
Could anyone provide me a link to an online nursery that sells live grafted Wax Jambu of various cultivars in California? I previously bought one grafted red wax jambu but my dog killed the plant. I'm located here in Oakland, California. The fruit was a little sweet and on the light side when it comes to the flavor. It's very refreshing if chilled...I used to have one planted on a large pot. Moving it indoors in my sunroom during the winter. But my bad dog chumped and uprooted my plant.

Re: looking for Wax jambu of various cultivar

Postby Axel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
I don't know of anyone in California that sells Was Jambu. You need to order it from Florida Nurseries like Top Tropicals. They're expensive, though. See http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Syz ... ngense.htm.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby MARLONLARA » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:39 pm

MARLONLARA

The problem with Florida Nurseries, they don't ship to California. I bought the grafted wax jambu from a southern California nursery company and I believe the company is already out of business.

Postby MARLONLARA » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 pm

MARLONLARA

Thank you. Yes it's expensive but worth it. I loved the fruit. The website you posted does ship to California ($35 shipping and the plant $45)

Postby brettay » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:52 am

brettay
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 16
I got my Black Pearl Wax Jambu on ebay. It was a rooted cutting. Pretty sure it came from southern California. I guess you never know exactly what you are getting on ebay, but it was relatively inexpensive and worth a shot.

Postby bluenkimchi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:14 pm

bluenkimchi

Climate Zone: zone 9b
There is one nursery in Southern Cali that I know of that does ship and I believed they're rooted cuttings and not grafted tho. He has 5 different cultivar including a white one that is native to Taiwan, but the only one that he currently has for sale are the Black Pearl variety. He also sells on ebay, though his plant are on the smaller side, as I've experience first hand. Got a pearl and an Emperor guava that are said to be 1 gallon, but are more like 4" pot size plant, but they were from rooted cuttings that are 8"-12" and not seedlings and price wasn't so bad either. Also got a grafted longan that was said to be 5 gallon, but looks more a like 2-3 gallon base on the plant size instead. Anyways his price isn't so bad and he has many variety that many other nursery don't have. Like the pearl and Emperor guava that I got are Taiwanese varieties, that no ones else seems to be carrying or know of.

His site http://tropicalbonsainursery.net/tropic ... _tree.html

Postby MARLONLARA » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:21 am

MARLONLARA

Yes, Yes, My Green Wax Jambu Plant has arrived. I bought it at http://www.toptropicals.com/ for a hefty price of $44.95 Plus $30.00 shipping. It came in a 3 gallon pot and the plan is about 4 feet tall. I planted it in a 30 gallon pot and it looks gorgeous hoping that it will survive indoors at winter time.

Postby bluenkimchi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 am

bluenkimchi

Climate Zone: zone 9b
Would love to see pictures

Postby MARLONLARA » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 pm

MARLONLARA

Here's photos of my Green Wax Jambu

Postby Ahem... » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Ahem...

Climate Zone: zone 10-11(microclimate
I know of a few places you could find them for $70 or less for a good grafted named variety tree. I find Norman Beard at beard tropics useful in obtaining wax jambu, I have previously bought a rare hybrid of the green wax apple and water apple(Syzygium aquem) which should have superb fruits.
I would also consider Mimosa nursery, they have wide variety but high prices.
Then theres Steve at Exotica, he could provide you with some cultivars but you have to be specific with what you get from him. Ong nursery also carries wax jambu anywhere from 5 gal. to 20 gal.! I would NOT recommend ordering online because I have ordered from plantogram, troptropicals, Pine Island Nursery and the plants were either in desperate need of water or half dead when they arrived. The ones that did survived grew like snails and never had flowers and seemed very weak compared to the ones I got that were grown in Cali sunshine and were already adapted to the local weather.

Regards, Ahem...
Ahem...

Next

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:37 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login