• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Lorax from Santa Cruz

Postby Lorax » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:46 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
Greetings to all,
First off much thanks to Axel and all the eclectic gardener's for the community and knowledge.
I am firmly rooted here in Santa Cruz and have been seeing the season's change here as long as I can remember. Like many others living in the cloudforest I enjoy stretching the boundaries of our micro-climates here in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I enjoy farming at the 2 extremes of the county , full sun rare fog or southwest facing at the bottom of a second growth redwood ravine. The ravine offers bamboo and salvia duplication stations as they thrive with ground water. The top offers terraces where Peppers and fruit coexist and it is the possibilities for fruit here that has brought me to branch out to other enthusiast's. Let's plant it together.

Re: Lorax from Santa Cruz

Postby Axel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:17 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome, Lorax, sounds like a wide range of micro climates you have there. What have you managed to grow in the redwoods? Sounds like deep shade.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Lorax » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Good Day ,
These micro-climates are wide ranging and also at different locations in the sc mountains, in the summer when it is 90 degrees by 11 am , I can work at the shade farm. All winter long I can work at the top and be alot warmer than town. Here I have more land to work with and sunrise to sunset sun, so the "fruitibilities" and different nooks and crannies are up top. Here we have pomegranates, berries, cherries, apples, figs, feijoa, loquat, kiwi, persimmon, avocado and citrus mostly 2-3 years young. And the salvia's and hummingbirds are happy here too.

Our slice of the happy valley is sun challenged and many a black thumb has told me "can't , won't , and don't" based off their failures. For me it is beautifull land I am able to work and I enjoy the learning, challenges, failures and success.
Summer is 6 hours of sun give or take and I have just finished deer fencing 1/2 an acre, as well as importing enough compost and composted horse manure to try and make things happen here. This year I will be trying different chinese herbs , beans, artichokes and any other good suggestions I can get ahold of.
So far it truly has been the salvia and bamboo farm as they are deer proof and reproduce abundantly in this environment.
What fruits do you all have success with beneath the second growth, with just enough sun?

Postby Axel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Lorax, I've managed to grow feijojas with a decent amount of shade, and my meyer lemons, bearrs lime and pink lemon are all in shade until about 2-3PM. They produce fine there.

I have some apples that are shaded from about 1PM until sunset, they have not produced any fruit yet, but I am pretty sure they will produce.

I have a row of cherries on the north side of out two story house, during the Summer they get sun from about 12 noon until late in the afternoon from about May through July, they produce delicious cherries.

I also have a West Facing slope that is only sunny from about noon onwards during the Summer that produces truly amazing peaches!

So it all depends. There are a lot of things that can be grown under some shade. But none of the shade I have is the deep redwood kind of shade. There I think it would be challenging to grow things.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Lorax » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:50 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Axel,
Thanks for sharing some of the specifics of what is working for you. Inspiration for me after months of preparing the land for planting. I uncovered and pruned a 30 ft. cherry tree,as well as pear, and apple and am hoping with some more love and pollination partners they will fruit for me.
I have failed to mention latin names and varieties of tree's here and in my last post because most of the tree's I am finding were already planted when I came to the land and they have yet to be identified.
Peace

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:05 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login