• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Welcome mdasilva from Cantanhede in Portugal

Postby mdasilva » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:01 am

mdasilva

Climate Zone: z9b
Hello!
My name is Márcio and I live near Cantanhede in Portugal, the westernmost country in Europe.
Here we have a mediterranean climate (Csa), that can be compared with California's 9b zone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coimbra#Climate).
In 2009, having already a passion for eating mangoes, I wondered if I could grow a mango tree. So I bought a ripe Palmer mango and grew my first mango seedling.
Since then I have grown a few tens of mango seedlings, mostly Palmer, but also Keitt, Kent, Haden, Osteen, Tommy Atkins and Maya. The survivors are still in containers, inside my mini-greenhouse. A grafted Osteen mango (bought from nursery) is planted on ground next to a south facing wall.
In the green house also have some other tropicals (all seedlings): tropical guava (white) , cherimoya (Fino de Jete), avocado (Nabal), and pineapple. The papayas and larger pineapples are in the back porch. In the backyard I have a red strawberry guava, pineapple guava, a Hass avocado and a banana tree.
Concerning the "usual" trees grown in Portugal I have lemon, orange, mandarin, persimmon, pomegranate, apple, mulberry, peach, nectarine, cherry, apricot, plum, loquat, fig, grapevine, hazel, chestnut and walnut.
The non-fruiting trees are a lebanon cedar, cork oak, common oak, stone pine and maritime pine.
Soon I'll get a carob tree and strawberry tree (arbutus unedo), these species are common in (warmer) south Portugal.

Cheers
Márcio

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:30 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login