• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Welcome mlar from Manteca

Postby mlar » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:14 pm

mlar
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 14/USDA 9B
Greetings,

I live in the Central Valley (Manteca area), but I'm originally from Scandinavia (moved to California 10 years ago). The most exotic fruit you can
grow where I'm originally from is apples, cherries, plums and pears. I used to try to grow "exotic" plants such as citrus in pots, but never got
anything to fruit. When I moved to California it was like a dream come true for me. The first thing I did when I arrived was to buy a eureka
lemon tree, that I kept in a 10 gallon container for 8 years, before I finally bought a house and was able to plant it in the ground. I probably
have the smallest 10 year old lemon tree known to man (it is about the size of a 3 year old tree). Of course, now I have several of the plants
I used to consider "exotic", such as peach and citrus, and they don't feel all that exotic anymore, so I have naturally moved on to other
plants.

Currently in my yard, I have:

Peaches (8 varieties, incl Hale Haven, Eva/Aug/May/Mid pride)
Nectarines (Arctic Glo, Star, Rose and Queen)
Citrus (Eureka, Valencia, Cara Cara, Moro Blood, Satsuma, Gold Nugget)
Apple (Dorsett Golden, Gala, Pink Lady, Fuji)
Plums (Burgundy, Santa Rosa, Methley, Beauty)
Black Mission Fig
Pineapple Guava
Raspberries (3 varieties)
Grapevines (3 varieties)
Strawberries (2 varieties)
Bananas (Dwarf Orinoco, Blue Java, Manzano, Red, Basjoo, Ensete Maurelii)
P.Edulis Frederick
Starfruit
Lychee (Mauritius)
Kiwi (Saanichton Fuzzy Female, Fuzzy Male)
Mango (Keitt, Ice Cream)
Barbados Cherry
Surinam Cherry
Pomegranate Wonderful

In addition to the fruiting varieties, I have tons of ornamentals (hibiscus, bird of paradise, bamboo, mandevilla, cape honeysuckle,
palm trees etc).

For next year, I'm mostly looking at adding more varieties of what I already have (more bananas and pomegranate for example), but I'm also
trying to convince the wife that we should tear up the front yard and replace all the (ugly) ornamental bushes there with fruiting bushes
and trees. I'm hoping to be able to find enough room for a Loquat tree somewhere, and hopefully also an avocado tree. I also have room for
three or so large containers around my patio, so I might add a couple more mango varieties.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login