• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

I'm new and searching for Korean Cherry Bush

Postby stanzi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 pm

stanzi

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 5, USDA Zone 7B
Living on the coast, Reedsport. Located between Florence and Coos Bay. 3 miles inland, and protected from the ocean winds that plague other coastal cities. When I was a youngster, my Dad planted what he called a Korean Cherry Bush in Southern California. Cherries! Boy was I excited. When it fruited and ripened I was in for a shock! Sour as could be. What earthly use could there be for this miserable fruit? As it turned out, it was my first cooking lesson; one can always add sugar, but hardly ever flavor. And did these cherries have flavor! Mom made the most memorable cherry jam, pies and other cherry delights. Researching the web, I find that "Korean Cherry Bush" can refer to a lot of different cherry trees. As I remember, my Dads was probably a dwarf as it wasn't much more than knee high and a prolific producer.

Anyone out there with experience growing something similar to what I described, here on the Oregon Coast, Sunset Zone 5, USDA 7B? Any hints, suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. Anyone else ever hear of a "Howard's Wonder Plum"?

Re: I'm new and searching for Korean Cherry Bush

Postby Axel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome Stanzi. there is a thing called a Korean cherry, it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_japonica, which will grow in Oregon. But it's not a choice edible, and is mostly used as a medicinal. There are a number of cherries that pack quite a punch when it comes to flavor. Try Montmorency sour cherry, or any of the new sour cherries offered by Raintree and Burnt Ridge nursery. They're all wonderfully sour and full of flavor. If you want something even more sour, try nankin cherry. Capulin cherries are also very nicely flavored and will grow where you are and ripen in late August. They're worth a try too.

I have a plum called Howard's miracle, this must be the one you are talking about. It's good, but I prefer Inca plum, which is even better.

Welcome to the Cloudforest.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:04 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login