• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

new to exotics

Postby mikeandjulie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:20 pm

mikeandjulie

Climate Zone: USDA zone 5B
we have had several regular gardens in the past, as well as various 'plant rooms' some with dozens of tropical foliage. right now we are going to start with the ice cream bean and grow some exotic plants. haven't decided which ones yet, we do live in Colorado.
my main question is can we grow an ice cream bean indoors? will it fruit if kept to eight foot?
anyone with indoor trees please feel free to share advice
thank you

Re: new to exotics

Postby Axel » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest.

Well, I can tell you my Ice Cream Bean fruited when it was barely 3 feet tall, most likely from drought stress, but that is very unusual for an ice cream bean. It's now a 20 feet tall tree (outdoors. Long term, ice cream bean will be challenging indoors, as ice cream bean likes to be big. Also, you will not get fruit unless you get supplemental lighting. They need lots of light to set fruit.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby mikeandjulie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:28 am

mikeandjulie

Climate Zone: USDA zone 5B
do they self pollinate or do i need to hand pollinate? i will have to learn hand pollination.

Postby Axel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:31 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
No hand pollination required. Mine does not have another pollinator and I don't touch it. It's a legume, not exactly easy to pollinate either.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login