• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

New Here!

Postby Hans » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Hans

Climate Zone: 10a
First off, I am new to this forum and new to figs. I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains and am a chestnut grower here ( http://www.skylinechestnuts.com ) so I do have experience growing fruit/nut trees, grafting, growing from seed, etc., and I also grow Christmas trees.

I am looking into setting up a container fig tree for my mother who just moved to Santa Cruz just a about 200 yards from Pleasure Point and the Monterey Bay. The tree would be growing on a second floor deck with southern full sun exposure.

Her favorite variety (or at least the one she is most familiar with) is Mission, so she would like a fruit that is similar to that.

I have read over Bill Muzychko's tips on container growing and that looks pretty straightforward, I will be finding a suitable container that is appealing to look at which I will plant in- most likely a ceramic pot (this will be on the small deck that Mom likes to sit out on and look out onto the bay so I want it to look nice).

What I need advice on is what variety should I choose for this location given Mom's preference for Mission, the fact it will be container grown and kept dwarfed and that it has direct coastal exposure (though the southern exposure to the bay means that the wind is not as strong as it is on the West side of Santa Cruz)?

Thanks all for your help!

Re: New Here!

Postby Axel » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Taste wise, desert king is the best one for around Pleasure Point, it's delicious. It's not the same as Mission, but it's quite good. If your mom can live with a fig that looks slightly different from mission, then desert king is the way to go.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Hans » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Hans

Thanks Axel. Any idea where I can get one? Do they have Desert King at Pro-Build?

And I know low acidity- 6.0-6.5- for figs in general, other tips on soil for a container grown tree?

Postby sanjosefool » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 pm

sanjosefool

Climate Zone: San Jose 9b
Dave Wilson Nursery (wholesaler) propagates Desert King (sometimes just called/sold as King). I've seen DK @ OSH here in San Jose, and DWN figs at all the big box stores, Summer Winds, Yamigami's, Wegmens in Redwood City...everywhere!

Postby sanjosefool » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:42 pm

sanjosefool

Climate Zone: San Jose 9b
I don't have anything in containers (too much maintenance for me!) but many people swear by AL's 5-1-1- mix in this forum:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/contain/

Postby Axel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:02 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Pro build should carry dessert king. If not, you can order it online. Try Raintree.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Hans » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Hans

I picked one up the other day at Mountain Farm and Feed in Ben Lomond (awesome store by the way). 5 gallon potted, great condition. Planted it yesterday. If you like I can post some pics of the way I did it. It is sort of a modification of the way that Bill Muzychko recommends. I think it will work out well. I am planning on trying to espalier it over the next couple of years (never done that before and wanted to try!)

Postby RodneyS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:08 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome, Hans & good luck with your new Desert King fig

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login