• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

New Introduction - Glendale AZ

Postby Layers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Layers

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 13
Howdy, I have been planting low chill fruit in Glendale AZ (Phoenix area) and have had decent luck with several (purchased mostly from Bay Laurel Nursery over the past 6 years). Apples that are producing = Anna, Dorsett Golden, Ein Sheimer, Pink Lady, Fuji, with some other varieties still too young to bear. Producting peaches = June Pride, Eva Pride, May Pride, Mid Pride, August Pride (all 5 varieties on one truck). Two 4-in-one Asian Pear trees have all eight varieties producing. There are several almonds, pluots, apriums, plum-cots, pears, nectarine and citrus = lime, lemon, tangelo, grapefruit and orange (multiple varieties).
Wow, did not mean to intro with a list - I am interested in grafting and will start experimenting this summer. The varieties that were grafted to the Citation root stock usually died with the extreme heat in our area. Other root stocks have fared better - I do not recommend Citation for hot climates.

Re: New Introduction - Glendale AZ

Postby RodneyS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:22 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Hello & Welcome. I've read that mangoes do well in AZ. You can also try pomegranates

Postby ajbcirc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:28 pm

ajbcirc

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Welcome. There are a few of us here from Phoenix and other parts of Arizona. Feel free to post.

I've longed ditched all my stuff on citation. Unfortunately, most of the DWN Zaigler stuff is propagated on it.

Postby ajbcirc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:30 pm

ajbcirc

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Also, what pears do you have growing? I thought only 20th Century and Shinseiki did okay out here?

Postby Layers » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:06 am

Layers

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 13
Producing Asian Pears - in the desert - Hosui, Seigyoku, Shinko, 20th Century, Chojuro, Ishiwase, Kikusui, and Shinseiki are producing in Glendale. These two 4-in-1 trees were planted in 2005 and 2006. The blossoms are outstanding and the trees seem to need iron added quite frequently. The leaves would show the darker green veins and ease up after additional iron is added. Heavy thining is needed or the pears stay small, I am still learning.
I am attemtping back-yard-orchard culture with trees quite (maybe too) close, but I do enjoy pruning and shaping. I hope others learn about Citation - I lost a of lot of trees and (more importantly) time replacing trees.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login