• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

New to the Cloud Forest

Postby ambitious_gardener » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:11 pm

ambitious_gardener

Climate Zone: 9b
I have been reading this site for quite sometime... very interesting stuff. I am new to the bay area (east bay) moved here from the northeast and find myself able to experiment with a lot of plants I would have never thought possible. Currently, in the planning stages of my garden (only managed to slip in some peas at the new place in November, still can't believe they are blooming and fruiting in Jan).

I have a lot questions starting out:

Is this an unusual winter in the bay area?

Where are the best places to get unusual plants and trees? I have been trying to find a macadamia nut tree to put in but have had no luck short of driving to San Diego. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: New to the Cloud Forest

Postby RodneyS » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:19 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome to the Cloudforest!

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Welcome! I have a mac seedling I can give you. I got it courtesy of Ellen here. I hope you made it to one of the scion exchanges this weekend, and if not hope you are planning to make it to the exchange Saturday in Berkeley

Postby nullzero » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:08 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums.

"I am new to the bay area (east bay) moved here from the northeast and find myself able to experiment with a lot of plants I would have never thought possible."

Welcome to the west coast, a lot of beautiful places to see. Best thing about Coastal California, no snow!

"Currently, in the planning stages of my garden (only managed to slip in some peas at the new place in November, still can't believe they are blooming and fruiting in Jan)."

Most of us are spoiled with year around outdoor gardening :D . Peas are a good winter crop, also salad greens such as lettuce, swiss chard, kale, etc. do well as fall/winter crops.

"Is this an unusual winter in the bay area? "

This has been an unusual winter for all of California.

"Where are the best places to get unusual plants and trees?"

Trading with others (including forum members), best tropical fruit nurseries are all down in Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego county. I end up ordering most of the hard to find edible plants online from places like Ebay and many other online nurseries. If you want a list of good online nurseries and seed companies I can private message them to you (just tell me which kind of plants you are looking for).

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login