• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Newbie in Blossom Valley

Postby BVgarden » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 pm

BVgarden

Location: Blossom Valley, CA (Eastern San Diego County near Alpine)
Climate Zone: Sunset 21, USDA 9b
I seem to be having a bit of beginner snafu going on with my posting. I hope this isn't a repeat as I've tried to post a couple times.
In March of 2010 I bought a house and 3 acres in Blossom Valley, CA. It had previously been home to eucalyptus and weeds. Lots and lots of weeds. I removed the eucs, eliminated the weeds and covered everything with over 550 yards of chipped tree type mulch. Last year, from spring untill late summer, I planted over 100 fruit trees. Almost all were purcahsed as grafted trees in 3-15 gal containers. I planted them in my natural soil (primarily DG with a couple inches of topsoil) and put in drip irrigation. Since then, I have topdressed with my homemade compost and Gro Power, a natural organic fertilizer. Most trees have a basin of about 5'-6' diameter and very good drainage. There is no wood chip mulch in the basins. Slowly but surely, I am filling the basins with a 6" covering of leaf mold, primarily from deciduous trees.
Although I have extensive organic veggie gardening experience and some previous rose garden experience, I am brand new to tree farming. I've planted mutiple types of apples, avocados, pears, quince, peaches, plums, nectarines, assorted stonefruit crosses, oranges, mandarins, grapefruit, assorted other citrus, cherry, macadamia, peacan, almond, mango, guava, sapote, chermoya, fig, mulberry, and pomegranate... In all. I've planted over a 100 trees. I added some passionfruit, kiwi, and goji berry for my vines.
The driveway and my turnaround are now home to over 100 roses. IThey were all planted last summer. Most were in pretty miserable shape as I did my shopping in the more remote and obsure nursuries in San Diego County with low prices in mind. Many were leftovers from years past and some were from nursuries going out of business and very poorly cared for. They have all made fine recoveries and are getting their first serious pruning at this time. My next plantings will be grapes and a vegi garden. The grapes will replace the kiwi. The kiwi died with our first winter chill. Good riddance as I don't care for kiwis anyway.I have no idea what type of grapes are best suited for my area so that will take some research. Suggestions are welcomed. I have created my vegi garden space. I tilled in 10 yards of commercial organic compost into about 1800 sq ft of land. After that I covered it with about 6" of sundried horse manure that I will rototill into the top 12" of soil. Before rototilling I'll spread some chicken maure, bone meal, fish meal, kelp meal, cottonseed meal, greensand, rock phosphate, dolomite, ironite and homemade compost over the whole enchilada. The garden plot is surrounded by my golpher barrier, a 4' deep by 12" wide trench that I filled with 1 1/2" rock gravel. I will put a 3' chainlink fence around it to keep out the rabbits and above ground wandering golphers. I'm quite excited about this forum and look forward to much conversation and learning.

Re: Newbie in Blossom Valley

Postby RodneyS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:51 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome to the Cloudforest, BVgarden

Postby BVgarden » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:25 pm

BVgarden

Location: Blossom Valley, CA (Eastern San Diego County near Alpine)
Climate Zone: Sunset 21, USDA 9b
Thank you for the welcome.
I've done a search and read quite a few different discussions and nowhere can I find anything about golpher control. Is this a taboo subject or am I the only person who is besieged by these little critters? I would love to hear about a product or magic potion that will get em to pack up and move to the neighbors' properties. I'm not a fan of poisons.

Postby nullzero » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:08 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome BVgarden,

There has been a few subjects on gopher control. You can always start a new topic or ask Axel (he seems to have gopher/vole problems).

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login