• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Newbie from Modesto!

Postby jearl » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm

jearl

Climate Zone: usda zone 9
Hi My name is Jeff and I've been a lurker for a while, had difficulties logging in,.
I live in a small cookie cutter house on a postage stamp size lot in Modesto, Ca. Where cram as much trees as I can in.

As I mentioned, I have a small backyard, so I don't get to grow much. I'm interested in tropical fruit growing and palms.

I have limited experience with both, But I do have a nice juvenile dypsis decipiens in my front yard with about 4 to 5 ft of trunk and various other fruit and palms in my back. Especially fruiting bananas.

My latest interest is grafting... especially avocadoes.

I'm always looking for new varieties, especially the more cold tolerant types. So if you have scion wood that you would like to sale, share or trade.... let me know.

Re: Newbie from Modesto!

Postby Axel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Hi Jeff, and welcome back. You're really not a newbie, if there was a way for me to grab the archives and count your posts in the old forum... Anyway, I should give you honorable "Cloudforest Expert" status - if I knew how to wrestle with the forum software and make it do that. :)

Anyway, I would love to see a picture of your dypsis decipiens and your fruit trees. Any lychees or longans this year?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Runboy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Runboy

Climate Zone: 9?
This must be the guy in modesto that I have heard rumors of being able to grow a Rainbow eucalyptus from a seedling to over 8ft tall in a single season ;-)

Postby jearl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:27 am

jearl

Axel wrote:Hi Jeff, and welcome back. You're really not a newbie, if there was a way for me to grab the archives and count your posts in the old forum... Anyway, I should give you honorable "Cloudforest Expert" status - if I knew how to wrestle with the forum software and make it do that. :)

Anyway, I would love to see a picture of your dypsis decipiens and your fruit trees. Any lychees or longans this year?

SIR!

If I say that I am a newbie, why cant you just go with it?
Why do you have to argue?

Consider this your first warning!
The next time the committee will vote to ban you permanently.
:lol:

LOL

Things are good.

Yea I got a few lychees and longans. They are alternate bearers so not many this year, next year should be good.

Postby Axel » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:53 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Hey Jeff, doesn't it feel good to get those authoritarian urges out of your system? :)

I am sorry I missed the NCPS meeting last Saturday, I have family visiting and I would have made a lot of unhappy folks if I just split to go to Modesto for the day.

Would you please be so kind and post a fresh picture of your amazing dypsis decipiens? Why is yours the only large trunking specimen in Norcal? Was everyone else including me asleep at the wheel while you were experimenting with great palms?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby jearl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:40 pm

jearl

Yea...I'll post a pic as soon as get some web storage somewhere.

No biggie about the meeting... less than 20 people showed up.

Postby Los Altos Jim » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Los Altos Jim
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 16, USDA 9b
Jeff, It's good to see that you're here on this excellent forum. I too regret not being able to attend your and Glenn's garden tours. Actually, I haven't gotten to a single one this season. Anyway, I'm glad to see you here!

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:16 am

Ben
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: NZ Z10
Hey newbie, you remind me of a guy I used to talk to here 10 or 15 years back. Good to see you back. After years of communicating online it was good to finally hear your voice on that garden interview a while back.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:59 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login