• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Newbie from Orange County

Postby mrreddy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 pm

mrreddy

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 22
hi guys,

A newbie and a novice at bakyard gardening here (we just bought a house). Also, I just stumbled upon this website when trying to search for a location to buy curry leaves plant anywhere in southern calif.

I liked the primary intention of the postings in this forum and would love the opportunity to learn from others.

Re: Newbie from Orange County

Postby RodneyS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:17 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Hello. You've stumbled upon the right place. There's plenty of information to sift through. I was a newbie myself not too long ago.

Postby nullzero » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:31 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome mrreddy to the forums. Your in a great growing area, I grow a lot of sub tropicals in south Orange County.

Postby mrreddy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:58 am

mrreddy

Thank you RodneyS and nullzero for the warm welcome!

Can I take the liberty to ask you a question? I am looking to get a couple of curry leaves plant. Could you point me to the right place? I know many people say Cerritos (and I even spotted some a while back), but I don't see them when I need most.

Are they potentially available in any local nurseries?

We are trying to plant drumstick tree (Moringa Oleifera) using seeds. May be I will also be looking out for some drumstick plants as well.

Appreciate your help on this.

Postby Axel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:02 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Exotica carries them, they are in Vista.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby nullzero » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:06 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

mrreddy wrote:Thank you RodneyS and nullzero for the warm welcome!

Can I take the liberty to ask you a question? I am looking to get a couple of curry leaves plant. Could you point me to the right place? I know many people say Cerritos (and I even spotted some a while back), but I don't see them when I need most.

Are they potentially available in any local nurseries?

We are trying to plant drumstick tree (Moringa Oleifera) using seeds. May be I will also be looking out for some drumstick plants as well.

Appreciate your help on this.

For the drumstick tree, seeds work out the best. I would get some PKM1 seeds, you can purchase them here; http://www.seedsofindia.com/shop/?itemid=127, I believe seeds of india also sells curry leaf plants. You would have to email them. As for finding it locally, Rodney may know sources around cerritos area.

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:03 am

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Note: Curry leaf tree is quarantined under the current citrus greening quarantine. It would be a very bad idea to buy them anyware but at a nursery local to you.

Postby nullzero » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:25 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Jason (palo alto) wrote:Note: Curry leaf tree is quarantined under the current citrus greening quarantine. It would be a very bad idea to buy them anyware but at a nursery local to you.

Thanks for the heads up did not know that.

Postby RodneyS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:18 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
I have PKM1 Moringa oleifera seedlings & seeds you can have. It's known as malunggay to us Filipinos, with the leaves being used for tinola. I have a 3 ft seedling in a 5 gal container, too. I can also give you dragonfruit cuttings.

Cultivating good karma :)

Postby mrreddy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:47 pm

mrreddy

Thanks everyone for pitching in with your inputs. Those are really valuable to me.

Axel,
Exotica nursery (is this the one http://www.exoticararefruits.com/ ?) looks to be a bit of a drive although they have great reviews. I would plan on visiting them sometime in near future. Any feedback of your experience with them would be greatly appreciated.

RodneyS
Thank you for your help! I would be interested in your offer. Can we meetup in some place near Cerritos? Anytime this weekend would work for me. You tell me the time and exact location. And talking about good karma, what goes around, comes around.. :)

Next

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login