• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Newbie from Spring Valley + Mutant Passiflora pics!

Postby Oolie » Tue May 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
I'm a new member who found the site when searching about pindo palms, it seems this will be my new home board. :)
Out of curiosity, is it the pindo that grows in an interesting triangle shape?

anyways, i've recently gotten into fruit tree cultivation and will give grafting a go sometime this year.
some of my favorite tasties: passionfruit, loquats, feijoas, oranges and avocados.

all sorts of new plants capture my interest, and i will try to contribute what i can to these boards.

with that out of the way, i have some pictures of a flower from the passionfruit i pollinated the other day.

Re: Newbie from Spring Valley + Mutant Passiflora pics!

Postby Oolie » Tue May 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

I'll include more:
as children in the area we would seek out fruit trees in the public area or overhanging fences and fill up on seasonal crops like loquats, pomegranates, and other common fruits. now i relish such flavorful fruits and seek to find my own. i forage on the local crops.

my girfriend inherited some property with alot of history for producing food, and while i don't see myself devoting the time it takes to restore it to its former glory, i want to add some stuff to it like mulberries and feijoa for starts. on the property are a number of different trees, mostly oranges/citrus. the healthiest of which is what i suspect to be a washington navel. she got me into passionfruit, and lamented how it hadn't produced fruit since she had it, so i did some research and pollinated it last year for approximately 200 fruits!

recently i discovered some feijoas at san diego state university, and decided to start hand pollinating them this year for some good fruit this fall. in the meantime, the petals are very satisfying! the campus is covered in great tasting fruits, and if you know where to look you can get a nice snack between classes. studying for a chemistry degree, but my interests are very diverse.

coming up soon i'm gonna be searching for nazemetz feijoas, as well as rootstock for avocados (there's a tree around here with giant fruit that has thin, smooth skin, and sometimes a garlicky flavor, i intend to do a graft), and i want to get a scion from a local loquat that has extremely large, flavorful, pear-shaped, orange fruit.

I'm a useful resource when it comes to some ethnobotany (my knowlege is very limited, but i have some useful info), as well as for basic chemistry or science questions, so don't hesitate to ask. :)

Postby sanjosefool » Wed May 09, 2012 9:20 pm

sanjosefool

Climate Zone: San Jose 9b
Welcome sir! Your pics didn't show up. I do wonder how many people buy passionfruit and then never get fruit from it. They do taste great.

As far as Naemetz I've seen that for sale at the local HD, Lowes and independent nurseries here in San Jose. HD/Lowes will carry it later in the year if they follow what they did last summer.

Postby Oolie » Thu May 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

thanks for telling me, i'll make a new thread with working pics soon.

Postby Oolie » Thu May 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

i couldn't find a forum specific to fruits that weren't pomes or citrus so it's in the food section.
food-and-recipes/mutant-passionfruit-pics-t2822.html

Postby Axel » Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
You can post things in the main forum. The citrus and pome fruit are sub-forums from the main one.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Oolie » Sat May 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

i finally understand this forum's format now, thank you! :)
any chance my thread could be moved to the proper area?

Postby nullzero » Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums Oolie. Sounds like you have a good plan for a future orchard in the making.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:06 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login