• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Old-timer making a re-introduction to the Cloudforest Cafe

Postby Merbert » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
I'm an old Cloudforest member who has taken a long hiatus from my favorite discussion board. Some of you probably remember me.

I live right on the Orinda/Lafayette border in Contra Costa County, California, on 2/3 acre of irregular land. Much of it is terraced and planted with a wide collection of fruits and vegetables, from the most mundane to the exotic. The garden is organic, and provides a pretty good source of food for our household.

After suffering the loss of many of my young tropical fruit plants and my greenhouse, I'm finally starting over, albeit slowly.

I'm a seed-saver and happy to share/trade veggie seeds with those interested. Some varieties are unusual Italian heirlooms, especially greens.

Re: Old-timer making a re-introduction to the Cloudforest Ca

Postby RodneyS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:33 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome back, Merbert!

I wish you success with starting over. Could be quite fun

Postby Merbert » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:42 pm

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Thanks so much Rodney. I'm starting small and looking right now at 6 varieties of bananas over-wintering in my office. I've got a good feeling about the rebirth of the exotic fruit garden, with atemoya fruit already hanging on one small tree.

Postby nullzero » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:19 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome back Merbert, what types of vegetables and fruits are you growing? I am trying to sprout out some rarer perennial italian salad greens like; Plantago coronopus, Silene Inflata.

Postby Merbert » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Howdy Nulzero,
Silene inflata grows like a weed once you get a nice spot for it. I grow pretty much any type of greens that I can get my hands on. I usually have several types of the following growing:
arugula
kale
escarole
chicory/radicchio
mustard
chard
lettuce
Seasonally I have the following:
snap and Romano beans
fava beans
silene
basils
peppers
squashes of all kinds
peas, regular and sugar snap
okra
eggplants
various Asian greens
and plenty that I'm forgetting...

I've got 300 onions in the ground, leeks, garlic and garlic chives and 2 potato patches growing.

Fruit trees include varieties of: apple, pear, Asian pear, mulberry, peach, apricot, plum, persimmon, pawpaw, pluot, aprium, lemon, sweet lemon, lime, sweet lime, Kaffir lime, orange, mandarin, pomelo, fig, Surinam cherry, sugar apple, cherimoya, Surinam cherry, lemon guava, strawberry guava, Babaco papaya, white sapote, passion fruit. Some are mature and bearing well and some are small. Really small fruits are rose apple, black sapote (might have fruit), sapodilla, pitomba, custard apple and a few others.

Postby nullzero » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:00 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Very cool list, I have been focusing on perennial and self seeding vegetables to add to the collection.

I have about 14 varieties of Opuntia that are good for nopalitos and prickly pear fruit. I have perennial Tree Kale, Okinawa spinach, Black Salisfy (good for leaves and root), self seeding local dandelion greens (try to cull the undesirable strains), also have some other things like TPS potato strains, Oca, Yacon, and Ulluco.

Postby Merbert » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Hi Nullzero,
What a nice collection of goodies. My friend has been cultivating everal strains of Opuntia and I'm sure that he will be interested in trading. He eats it every single day, either fresh or dried.

For self-seeding, there's nothing like arugula, chard and members of the mustard family. We are never without. I'd be happy to send you some seeds for very tasty and trouble-free varieites.

This is the year that I'd like to try Yacon. Perhaps we can do a trade. I have a pepper that has been perennial for 3 years now. It's an Italian-type frying pepper but not as long as many.

I used to grow salsify in San Francisco where the soil was sandy. Here I think my soil is a bit too dense for good root growth.

Do you like turnips and beets? I've got some tasty varieties that are good for both roots and leaves.

Postby nullzero » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:08 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Turnips and beets are good, I like most vegetables. I would love to try some green seeds out. I actually obtained 8 different varieties of Opuntia selected for fruit quality and nopales from the national genetic resource program. Besides those Opuntia, I have many other selected from around SoCal and traded for.

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Welcome back Merbert. Look forward to reading more of your plant wisdom.

Postby Merbert » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Jason, it's so good to back with the best gardening fanatics I know. I can't wait for the holiday performance season to wind down so that I can catch up on what you and others are doing lately.

How are your guavas? I'll bet you have more varieties by now than anyone in your area.

Happy Holidays,
Su

Next

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login