• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Please Welcome patchworkfarm from the Pajaro Valley

Postby patchworkfarm » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:51 am

patchworkfarm

Climate Zone: sunset zone 15/16
Hello, My name is Lynda and I have just joined Cloudforest Cafe. I found it while looking for information on Cherimoyas. I have 4 acres in the Pajaro Valley area that I moved to fairly recently. I’m learning more about the land and it’s microclimates as I work on large projects with the structures and drainage. I plan on improving 3 acres of pasture for wool sheep. The remaining acre will be orchards and gardens, houses and barn. The land is gently sloping. I'm 4 miles from the coast. Most gets full sun with summer afternoon ocean breezes. In the winter the orchard area gets shaded mid-afternoon; I'm not sure about summer. Some areas are shaded by structures or trees. I think the water table is very high in the winter (I planted some bulbs near a plum and hit a lake of water in gopher runs at 6-8 inches). The soil is heavy clay. One area stays damp all summer and is part shade with morning sun.

I currently have an old neglected orchard with 2 santa rosa type plums (one is probably 50 years old) and one small late pear that seems to have a virus (?) and one bartlett sort of pear. I also have a white genoa fig and babcock peach planted last winter. There’s a couple of gnarly old crab apples and a lot of old roses. And a giant Elm and pink magnolia. And a few queen date palms. And a pomegranate suspect. I have some bamboos in pots (chusquea, drepanostachyum sengteanum, b. multiplex) and a meyer lemon. And I have a great orchid collection that I need to sell.

At a different site--away from commercial ag-- I grow a south american red corn.

I’m planning on a hedge of feijoas
and another hedge of Ugne
I have 2 fuji’s gifted to me to transplant
and I’m thinking of:
blenheim apricots
a good cooking apple-granny smith
grafting onto the fujis
a firm persimmon
a crunchy persimmon
avocados
seedless grapes
kiwi
bush berries
blueberries
lime

and I’m curious to try babaco, and paw paw...

Other landscaping may involve native coffeeberry and manzanitas, red twig dogwood and japanese maple. Camellias and datura. Gingko. Vegetable beds. Flowers.

And whatever else strikes my fancy or is so delicious that i just have to try to grow it...

Anyway. There’s lots of potential and I’m just starting out.

-L

Re: Please Welcome patchworkfarm from the Pajaro Valley

Postby RodneyS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:04 am

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
patchworkfarm wrote:Hello, My name is Lynda and I have just joined Cloudforest Cafe. I found it while looking for information on Cherimoyas. . -L

Welcome Lynda!

That's how I found the Cloudforest cafe back in 2009.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login