• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Pinus Pinea

Postby Castorero » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:34 am

Castorero

Climate Zone: 5
Hello All, nice to be here...

Pinus Pinea is one of my favorite trees.
I grew up under their their shade as a child in Italy. It seems that we try to reproduce a small vignette of our earliest environs in our present gardens, and so it is with me.
I have been slowly reworking our garden to introduce a trio of Pinus pinea in the landscape for sentimental reasons as well as the possibility of harvesting some nuts
should I live long enough.
Victoria, British Columbia, is a bit of a stretch Zone wise, but I am confident that they should do well.
Does anyone know if these trees are available in the Pacific Northwest, Oregon or Northern California?
Importation into Canada may present some challenges and it could be fodder for another topic.

Re: Pinus Pinea

Postby Axel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
I would be surprised if you couldn't find this in Canada. Check with nurseries in Victoria, you may have better luck there since chunks of the island are USDA zone 9a.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby rhapsody616 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 pm

rhapsody616

Climate Zone: USDA zone 10A
It is a very pretty tree. Hope you find it!

Postby Castorero » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Castorero

Climate Zone: 5
I have found a great selection of these specimens in the Southern California area.

I have had no luck in locating any specimens in BC or the Pacific Northwest, which is a bit surprising.
The importation into Canada should be straightforward once all the permits are in place and any treatments and quarantine for snail infestation and other undesirable "pests" are carried out to the satisfaction of the Canada Food Agency.

I should add that the permits should be in hand long before the trees are shipped or reach the border. I have been told of trees and shrubs being denied entry because of deficiencies in the above process.

I am thinking of including a few Italian Cypresses to the dedicated truck in order to mitigate the high cost of transportation...

Castorero

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login