• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Pitaya/Dragon Fruit

Postby Unkledon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Unkledon

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
I bought a Dragon Fruit, and I'd like to know how others in the central coast of California, or similar climes, grow them. My soil is sandy, and I have a nice hot spot in the middle of my stone fruit orchard (big trees around) on a south-facing slope. Here in Santa Cruz we get fog in the mornings but it gets up to 70s on average in the summer. I've got that orchard on a drip system that waters every three days.

So, I think the main issue will be frost. Right????

I was thinking of training it against a cinder block tower--hold moisture and retain some heat in the winter. Ideas?

Don Eggleston

Re: Pitaya/Dragon Fruit

Postby cchan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:39 am

cchan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9-10
I lived in Santa Cruz for several years. Your problems will be the cool nights and the fog, especially on the days when there is frost on the grass in the hills during the morning from 6-8 AM. Also there are one or two days when it gets really cold or snow.

You might be able to get away with growing it if it is not Hylocereus costaricensis. I would check with the UCSC arboretum they have a pretty decent cactus collection (I think there was one under some cover).

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:36 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login