• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

pylot from Richmond

Postby pylot » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 am

pylot

Climate Zone: Sunset 17, USDA 9b
Hi everyone! I live in Richmond CA very close to the bay, so cool and foggy summers here.

We have a small garden with an ever increasing number of fruit trees / plants. On a trial basis: two figs (Desert King and Osborne Prolific), two peaches (Saturn and Frost), a plum (Santa Rosa), a persimmon (Fuyu / Jiro ?), a mandarin (Satsuma), a lemon (Meyer), raspberries (Caroline and Prelude), kiwi (Kolomikta), grapes (Jupiter, Canadice, Flame, Reliance, Interlaken, Glenora), currant (White Imperial), blackberries (Triple Crown and Black Pearl) and strawberries (Seascape and Albion). I think that's all :)

Re: pylot from Richmond

Postby RodneyS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
The CloudForest welcomes you, pylot. Have a great weekend

Postby Axel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:33 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest! Awesome to have you here. Sounds like you really did your homework on what will do well in your area. Both Desert King and Osbourne prolific are very good figs for cooler climates, they will produce delicious figs for you. Just make sure to let them get to the point that they are droopy, then they will be loaded with sugars and delicious to eat!

Frost peach is most excellent in cool climates, and it's a delicious, melt-in-your mouth yellow fleshed delicacy, plus it doesn't get peach curl, what more could someone ask from a peach? Saturn is super sweet, even last year when we had our worst Summer ever, this peach still ripened to perfection.

And you can't go wrong with Satsuma. In my orchard it's the king of all mandarins, producing reliably sweet and juicy mandarins no matter how crappy the weather might have been. Can't say that about many mandarins either.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby pylot » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:07 pm

pylot

Climate Zone: Sunset 17, USDA 9b
Hi RodneyS, Axel, and everybody else!

Yes, I did read a bit before deciding which trees to plant. Unfortunately it takes a couple of years before they get going. Everything was planted last spring, and so far they're doing great. Oh, and I forgot to mention we also have two feijoas :)

I guess my top choice for a tree would be figs. I like that one can cut the tree down to a foot in the winter to keep them small, and still expect fruit next year - at least in warmer areas. I'm actually trying to propagate several other varieties that according to the CRFG website should do well here (Monstruese, Adriatic, Ischia Green, Excel).

My "project" plant is arctic kiwi. They taste so intense, and apparently have lots of vitamin C :) My plan is to grow them in mostly shade along the side of the house.

Postby Violet Cactus » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Violet Cactus

Climate Zone: Australia Zone 3
Hi pylot, great to 'meet' you and hear about your garden.

Postby australia » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:27 am

australia

Climate Zone: +30
Hello! I'm from Australia ( Brisbane). I try find place where I can to buy blackcurrant. Can do you help me same body to find seller in the Australia?
Sorry for my English .Thank you. Elena ovlen@yandex.ru

Postby nullzero » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:09 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome Pylot and Australia to the forums. Looking forward to future discussions with you!

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:33 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login