• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Welcome scottfsmith from Baltimore (The Other Coast :) )

Postby scottfsmith » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 am

scottfsmith
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: MD 6B/7A
I've been reading the old Cloudforest Forum off and on for years so I'm not exactly new, but I guess I should say "hi" anyway. I am a regular over on the GW Fruit forum, same ID there. Today GW gets even deeper in bureaucracy: GW is owned by iVillage owned by NBCUni which is as of today owned by Comcast... what a mess!

I live in Baltimore city (yes, on that other coast) and have an orchard of many kinds of fruits in my suburban yard. I try to grow things organically and that is a huge amount of work here. It limits what I want to grow as well, for example most of the apricots that are good in California just don't work here. My favorite apricot is Tomcot, favorite apple is Freyburg, favorite peach is Foster, favorite plum is Satsuma (picked very late, at the "cinnamon" stage).

Scott

Re: Welcome scottfsmith from Baltimore (The Other Coast :) )

Postby Axel » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:30 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome Scott. Growing things organically is definitely more of a challenge on the East coast, we are very blessed on the West coast. I have challenges mostly during the Spring. My Anna and Dorsett golden apples are blooming, so it means I have to spray them in order to keep them disease free through the late Winter and early Spring rains. It's a bit of a pain, I wonder if it's really worth growing those varieties.

Peaches are tough too because of peach curl, and apricots suffer mainly from brown rot. But once we make it past April, the rest of the year is smooth sailing disease wise. The rest of the year consists of coddling moth, gophers and protecting from birds. I can't imagine running this orchard if I had to worry about spraying year round.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:03 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login