• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Welcome SJVcharlie from the San Joaquin Valley

Postby SJVcharlie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:21 pm

SJVcharlie

Climate Zone: 9
Hey, I'm new. We grow commercially Avocados and Citrus in SJV of California. This looks like a good site to learn and hopefully to contribute. I am a scientist at heart, always having questions.
Charlie

Re: Welcome SJVcharlie from the San Joaquin Valley

Postby SJVcharlie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:47 pm

SJVcharlie

Axel,
Have enjoyed the information on the forums...
So, I am one of those Central Valley California guys. Zone 9 it says in the Sunset Garden book. What makes 9a or 9b?

We are up 200 to 4oo feet off of the valley floor. We call it the 'Banana belt because we are usually 3 to 5 degrees warmer because of the inversion effect, and cold air drainage. We grow Citrus and avocados primarily.
Charlie

Postby Axel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Charlie, Sunset zone 9 is USDA zone 9b, it's just a coincidence that Sunset and USDA zones happen to both involve the number 9 in your case. But in general, Sunset 9 has little in common with many USDA zones 9. The elevation above the valley floor gives you an ideal climate, in fact, it's the best subtropical climate north of the Tehachapi mountains. I truly envy you. Last time I've visited Lincove, I went to the local citrus tour about a month afterward and I thought our local coastal citrus was so terrible in comparison. And Gene Lester has some incredibly good citrus, but it's all relative. All it takes is to sample the Lincove citrus, nothing surpasses it.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby SJVcharlie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:21 am

SJVcharlie

Valley hillside citrus is VERY fine indeed. I think it is the tough clay soils that concentrate and make more complex, the flavors. We don't get the big production, and it is harder to farm in general than the flats.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:28 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login