• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Staying in Uganda

Postby jegindo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:23 am

jegindo

Climate Zone: 11
Hi, I am a biologist living in Kampala - Uganda - since beginning of 2002, and am a collector of rare exotic fruits.
As such I am always interested in exchanging seeds and can offer rare Ugandan species (tropical) found nowhere else.
KIndly, Søren Jegindø

Re: Staying in Uganda

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Welcome! You are the same Søren who posts on the Rare Fruit Yahoo Group? If so, great to have you here. I read that group but never post.
What seeds are you looking for? I'm sure the seeds you have would be rare and welcome to many of the members here.

Postby nullzero » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:55 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome Søren Jegindø! Sounds like you are living in a very beautiful place. So many great hard to find fruits, vegetables, and herbs of Africa. I would love to trade some time, been reading through "Lost Crops of Africa" volumes recently.

Postby jegindo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:37 pm

jegindo

Thanks a lot - and yes, I am the very same - have been on the Rare Fruit Yahoo Group for several years - and just stumbled into this forum. Good to be here - and indeed Uganda is a beautiful place, I have been therefore almost 10 years.
Taking about the seeds I can offer - they are often harvested from the wild, and bought on the local markets. Most of them are rarely available from other sources, and all are tropical species, though it appears some are fairly hardy.

Postby Xipalma » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Xipalma

Climate Zone: USDA 11
Hello Soren, it seems we have the same climate zone, and I am interested by seeds from plants that can stand drought periods.

I would like to experiment here, and make something like a sort of conservatory. And also my challenge is to eat completely from the garden, as most people stop at vegetables and fruits.

Can you tell about the characteristics of your climate? When is rain falling for example, which months?

Thanks

Postby jegindo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 pm

jegindo

Average rainfall over the year in Kampala is around 1500 mm - some areas of Uganda receives 2000mm other 800mm so that is the range. Major rainy months are centered April and October. At times, 2-3 months can pass with very little rain.

Postby Xipalma » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Xipalma

Ho, so you have more than me! 800mm would be a lot, and we have no rain from june to september at least. Actually, we are still waiting for it...

And you also seem to have a more regular rain, in spring and autumn, so you do not have a 2 seasons year...

Anyway, we have enough water coming from the high part of the island, through pipes. But if you know about edibles from your place which are part of the ones that can grow in the dryer areas.... then I would love to hear about them... thanks

Postby jegindo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:40 am

jegindo

How about Tamarindus indica, I do have seeds from wild trees of Northern Uganda towards the border of Sudan.?

Postby Xipalma » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm

Xipalma

Yes, you are right, this one is suitable here ! Do you know if they sprout easily, as they have a very hard shell...
Is northern Uganda the driest place ?
Any other idea of some local plant (not only trees)?
I will try the cajanus cajan pea for example, I do not know how they are called and also this question of rhizobium that might be specific to some bean species and that I might not have in my soil... I could get some seeds but not a lot.
I must eat gluten free, so I look for other grains...
I have been on Internet to situate you better and learned that Uganda has no water problem, but I should have guessed, with the big lakes of the region!

Postby Xipalma » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Xipalma

By the way, you say you are a collector, have you presented your collection else where in the forum? I would love to know what fruit trees you have... Do you also collect other trees and plants? Would you be interested by some plants I can have here ? I have dragos !

Next

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:33 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login