• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Re: It's time for introductions!

Postby desimango » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:23 pm

desimango

Climate Zone: 9b
Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

Jason, unfortunately, I'll be out of town this weekend but it sounds like a great venue. Hopefully there will be more. I'd be more than willing to share scions with other folks.

Are most folks here CRFG members? I don't know much about that program but have heard it mentioned from time to time.

Aman

Postby desimango » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 pm

desimango

Climate Zone: 9b
I forgot to mention that I'm already in touch with Gregory...he does have one heck of a guava collection. Hopefully I can help expand his collection ;-)

Postby gregorycushing » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:48 pm

gregorycushing

Climate Zone: 8B
Thanks for the favorable mention guys. If someone and can confirm to me that they had a successful guava grafting, and can tell me how small of root stock and grafting stock they can work with, I will see what I can come up with to cut from my seedless and graft to a rootstock that I can give you. The seedless I have have not been aggressive growers but, could use a little shaping to fit better in the greenhouse. It might take some time to get these ready, I have been giving away plants at work and do not have many good size plants ready to leave.

Postby charland » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:05 pm

charland

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15, USDA zone 10a
Hi, my name is Chris and I have recently become really interested in tree-crop agriculture since graduating from UC Davis this winter. I had a lot of fun taking care of the fig and pear in our backyard in Davis as well as planting collards, chard, and a nectarine. My friend has a property in Boulder Creek that we are going to have some fun experimenting with different tree-crops on, I really hope to try rose apple and maybe cherimoya, definitely avocado!

Postby gregorycushing » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 pm

gregorycushing

Climate Zone: 8B
If you want to "do it like a crack head", learn to graft. If you have a tree and someone has a better veriety, all you need is a cutting from your favorite to add to your tree. I can spot you a cherimoya and avocado that I started from seed and are not too big. You will need to go to Palo Alto tho.

Postby Axel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Charland, it's seriously doubtful that you could get any subtropical crops growing in Boulder Creek, that is the coldest spot in the Santa Cruz mountains. The climate up there is equivalent to Oregon.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby charland » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 am

charland

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15, USDA zone 10a
Absolutely, Axel, most of the town is in a cold air basin and there is much less maritime influence. Luckily my friend's property is in the hills/mountains around it and it has high microclimate variation, hence our desire to experiment!

gregorycushing, I would love to work with the fruits you're offering! Thank you! I don't have PM privileges yet, so PM me and we can sort it out.

Postby Axel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
charland, you should be able to PM now.

Good luck with the subtropicals, if you have a spot in the thermal belts above Boulder Creek, you should be able to grow quite a few subtropicals. The subtropical belt is 800-1200 feet, should be frost free most of the time there.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Kalinda » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Kalinda

Climate Zone: autum
G'day my pleasure to introduce myself. Im 52 live in Sydney love the garden even though it's not huge it keeps me amused. Well any questions give me a buzz.
Cheers kalinda

Postby NoCheechako » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:58 am

NoCheechako

Climate Zone: 10
Hello Everyone! My name is Steve and I live in Campbell, CA (9b). I am originally from Alaska which may explain my "passion" for fruit trees/plants. I grew up on store ripened fruit and had believed if it wasn't hard it was rotten. :)
I have plenty of indigenous (apples, oranges, cherries, etc) and sub tropical (guava, passionfruit, pawpaw, sapote, cherimoya) trees.

Axel, i am probably a few years behind you in regards to the weather watching. Every winter I wrap half my yard in frost cloth and watch the temperature closely (almost too close). This year the frost claimed one of my passion fruits vines (it produced over 200 fruits last year). Like you, the banana plants have been the most successful

My biggest challenge has been hand pollinating my Cherimoya. Any advice would be appreciated.

Have a great day,
Steve

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:15 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login