• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Re: It's time for introductions!

Postby Axel » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest. Sounds like you have lots of fruit trees.

I don't really worry about temperature anymore, as the land here has taught me what works and what doesn't. The result is an orchard more or less well adapted to the area. I planted stuff all over the garden, and watched how it does. "Natural Selection" has moved all the tender stuff close to the house and under oak trees on the hill. Apples and deciduous crops have replaced all the tropicals that kept getting frost damaged in the lower orchard.

I still read the NWS bulletins on a regular basis, they are fun to read.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby 284 International » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:53 am

284 International

Climate Zone: USDA 9
Hello. I have a small 5 acre hobby farm I am slowly developing back into an orchard. Things are still small and underdeveloped, with only about 60 fruit trees. I grow corn, squash, and melons as well. I'm looking forward to learning more while I read the board. Thank you for the venue and knowledge.

Postby gregorycushing » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 am

gregorycushing

Climate Zone: 8B
5 acre seems like more or a real farm to most people. For a second I thought 60 trees is a lot for a hobby but, how many are the same? I have a lot also. What is your location?

President Thomas Jefferson planted 1,031 fruit trees at his Virginia home, Monticello.
Read more: What Type of Fruit Trees Do Well in Virginia? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7300527_type-t ... z20nWtGJAF

Postby SebastianDaniel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:22 pm

SebastianDaniel

Climate Zone: 24
Hey everyone! Name is Sebastian and just searching around for some information on various topics, all the info I've gotten so far has been great so keep up the good work!
Hey everyone! My name is Sebastian and I'm new here, so let me know what's up!

Postby gregorycushing » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm

gregorycushing

Climate Zone: 8B
What are you growing?

Postby jbl4430 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 am

jbl4430

Climate Zone: 6a
Hi My name is Jang Woo Lee.
I want to call me just Woo.
I think it is easy to call.
I am living near Niagara Falls ,Lake Erie Canada side with 100 Acre forest farm.
I am growing 5 variety groundnut, yacon,oca and mashua -----.
I just searched other variety oca(I have 2 variety) and came here.
Yesterday harvest half of my oca and I want to trade or postage if who want seriously. My oca variety is red and pink.
You can see my oca below address.
http://cafe.daum.net/jbl4431/B46c/9
I am retired hobby farmer.
I want to share rare edible plants info.
Thank you.
Woo

Postby benjamin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:47 pm

benjamin

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 7, USDA 8b
Hi from the Central California coast!

My name is Benjamin and I love to grow tropicals, especially palms and tropical fruits. I am from North SLO county. San Luis Obispo itself is very mild and can support all sorts of exotics, but north of the grade - away from marine influence - it is bitterly cold in winter. We saw 7F in 1990 (although I wasn't born yet) and 10F in 2007, which I experienced in person. Three days in a row did not get above 32F with nights in the low teens. By some miracle my Phoenix canariensis lived, even though it was newly planted, but many MANY established plants all over the county were damaged or killed. This past winter (Jan. 2012) it got to 17-18F and all Washingtonias were defoliated, as well as the few large Phoenix canariensis around town. I have never seen a winter stay above 21F, and we've seen frost as late as early June and as early as mid September.

Needless to say, my collection is almost all in pots, to be greenhoused in the winter or brought to Davis (I'm studying Environmental Horticulture at UCD) to stay on the south side of my house or in the living room) My tropical fruits include coffee, avocado 'Joey', cherimoya 'Honeyhart', Valencia orange, blood orange, strawberry guava, banana (poss. Ice Cream), passiflora edulis 'Fredericks' and plain edulis, 'Haden' mango, and probably some more things I am forgetting. I have all the boring Home Depot palms, but also: Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (exciting for me), Caryota urens, Caryota gigas, Sabal palmetto, Brahea armata, and Livistona chinensis. All except C. gigas are in the ground in Templeton, but the King and the C. urens are heavily protected with sheets, plastic, Christmas lights, and burlap in the winter. Other interesting things: Brachychiton populneus, B. rupestris, B. discolor, Acacia stenophylla, Chorisia speciosa, Jacaranda, Ensete maurelli, white Bauhinia, Ficus microcarpa, etc.

Because I am always excited to hear of tender plants surviving cold temperatures, I will share a few odd success stories:
-Giant Bird of Paradise survives 10F under a pile of leaves
-Raveana rivulais survives 21F under a pile of leaves (only to be eaten by gophers)
-Ensete maurelii thrives the summer after 18F under 1 layer of burlap.
-Chorisia speciosa survives, albeit heavily bitten back, 21F on the porch with no other protection
-Queen's Tears (Tillandsia sp.?) survives THREE winters of 21F, followed by 18F with no protection except that it is somewhat nestled in an evergreen Passiflora caerulea!

I love to find out things are tougher that I thought. Cheers to everyone on Cloudforest who keeps pushing the envelope! I really appreciate your spirit of adventure.

-Benjamin

Postby nullzero » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome all new members, Woo I remember you from Idigforums.

benjamin,

Nice collection, I have never heard of Joey avocado. How does it compare to the other avocados? Btw, SLO is beautiful area.

Postby benjamin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 pm

benjamin

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 7, USDA 8b
Joey is one of those supposedly really cold hardy cultivars from Uvalde, TX (allegedly to 15F w/o damage, 10F survival. I've only had it for one winter in a greenhouse and a summer so I haven't tested its cold tolerance yet, but I'm planning on leaving it outside, albeit against a south wall, in Davis this winter. If you're interested in cold hardy avocados, some other good ones (also from Uvalde) are Lila, Opal, Wilma, Pryor, and Fantastic. They're hard to find though.

Postby RobertS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:18 pm

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Welcome Benjamin, I'm down in Arroyo Grande and a member of Calif. Rare Fruit Growers we have meetings every 2nd Sat. of the month, if interested check out at CRFG.org and click on Central Coast Chapter. Looks like you've got a good collection going so far.

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:29 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login