• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Re: It's time for introductions!

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:16 am

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
Benjamin, since you are protecting many of your plants, want to try to not kill a Roystonea regia? 5 gallon, about 4 ft tall, in my greenhouse in Nipomo. Yours for the taking. We're in the phone book.

Jack Swords

Postby Solko » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:09 am

Solko

Climate Zone: USDA 9
Welcome Woo, and welcome Benjamin.

Interesting things that you guys are growing. I am also curious about the Joey avocado. Wheteher it is indeed as coldhardy as they claim it to be, and wheteher it can set fruit in limited summer heat conditions. I guess, Benjamin, You don't have a lack of summer heat, though, since you are pretty far south.

The plants that have surprised me thus far in cold hardiness are
Camellia Sinensis,
Anadenanthera Colubrina,
Avocados in general (from seed)
Synsepalum Dulcificum (can take more cold than I thought, or as stated), never had them exposed to frost though.
Cedrela odorata survived frost pretty well

Apples and peaches are much more drought tolerant than I thought, but Pomegranate is the winner in that area - I forgot about one tree in the field, barerooted, but with roots in a plastic sack and just found it a year later, after a dry winter and scorching summer - with green leaves on it! So I planted it right away, that is amazing!

Interested to hear about any future experiments!

Postby benjamin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:52 pm

benjamin

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 7, USDA 8b
I've heard a lot about CRFG and I will definitely try to make it to a meeting if I can, probably over Christmas break. Glad to hear from another SLO County guy!

Postby benjamin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:54 pm

benjamin

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 7, USDA 8b
Jack -
I would love to "try not to kill" your Royal. :) Can I come get it mid-Dec?

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
Benjamin: yonke123 "at" yahoo.com

Postby toybits » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:03 pm

toybits

Climate Zone: 9b
Hi Panax, i just had a 'Jin' jujube shipped from rollingrivernursery, and it is supposedly the same variety as 'Chang'. What i received seems to be the most prickly of all jujubes. As wicked as a porcupine's tail, and am worried it may just be the rootstock which they sent me. Would you have pictures of your chang jujube you could share? Just thought i'd ask..

Postby cholcombe973 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:13 pm

cholcombe973

Climate Zone: 9b
Hello everyone! I'm a transplant from Philadelphia. I just moved to morgan hill in February to start at new job. I like making attempts at permaculture as best I can. The rental house I moved into has a nice landlord and he doesn't mind how much or how crazy I get with the gardening :D. I planted a pomegranate, fig, red raspberries, strawberries, blue elderberry, cara cara orange ( Axel's suggestion from a previous post ) and a loquat is on the way. I've been lurking for a month or two before I moved and I saw the posts on Cherimoya's. If anyone is growing exotic fruits I'd be really interested to try before I buy :-). I'm really excited to plant all the things I couldn't grow on the east coast.

Postby PaulC » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:39 am

PaulC

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21, USDA zone 10A
Hi All;

I live in Westlake Village, California. That's Ventura County. My lot is about 3/4 acre with much of it on a hillside. Garden hi-lites to me are my heirloom tomatoes, fruit trees and roses.

My dozen or so fruit trees include a Yosemite Gold Mandarin Orange, Rio Red Grapefruit, Rio Star Grapefruit, Nagami Kumquat, Mid-Pride Peach, Burgundy Plum, Valencia Orange, Fuerte Avocado, Moro Blood Orange, Eureka Lemon, Bearss Lime and Pomegranate Wonderful. I water with micro 360 broadcast heads.

I have a Reed and Lamb Haas 5 gal. avocados on order and was thinking of planting them close together as I've seen described in

http://www.plantsthatproduce.com/guides ... oOrTwo.htm

Would 2 ft apart be good? This article also refers to the importance of irrigation water not hitting the trunks. Is this something to be concerned about?

I look forward to participating in discussions.

Postby schmerber » Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 pm

schmerber

Climate Zone: usda zone 8b
Hello everyone my name is Zach and I live in Portland Oregon zone 6/7 on a ½ anchor plot of land in the city. I am currently growing 2 grafted pair trees 2 grafted apple trees 2 fig trees 1 cherry tree 1 Asian pair blueberries pineapple guava huckleberry strawberry and all of you standard yearly garden greens. Currently I have become dedicated to creating a large heated greenhouse.

I am in the process of building this greenhouse as and would love any input people may have about operating a heated greenhouse. The greenhouse will consist of duel pained tempered glass and will be heated with a radiant coil floor. The power source will be the 4 solar hot water heating panels I picked up with an electric backup. I am still debating whether to make the floor cement and have radiant coils inside the cement or to just have a gravel floor and have the radiant coils running through the raised beds. I think I will be documenting the build and try to post frequently about my findings during the build of this project.

I also keep chicken on the property. Currently I am building a chicken tractor with some unique traits that should help keep out predators and improve winter coop tempters as the same time. It also incorporates a weighted perch that swings shut secondary coup door once all of the chickens are on the night perch. When they jump off there perch in the morning the door opens and the chickens are free to scratch and peck.

I have spent much of my life behind a computer screen as I am an IT guy. I love reading about posts on this sight because people here seem to have the fascination with amazing rare fruits and vegetables that I do. I hope to learn as much as I can about these exotic plants so I can make my greenhouse thrive with exotic plant life.

I am impressed with the time and effort that is put into the study and cultivation of these exotic plants. I am excited to learn and talk with all of you about the tips and tricks to cultivating a fruitful garden! Cheers
-Zach

Postby Axel » Thu May 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest! Make sure to post in the main rare fruit forum.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:15 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login