• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Re: It's time for introductions!

Postby Favabean » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Favabean

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
I just joined! I live in los angeles and just bought a house with a 5000 sq ft plot. The garden was more or less a blank slate. I'm most interested in planting edibles. I just got a sharp velvet pomegranate and i'm looking for a good spot for it. Also wondering if i might need a cross-pollinator. I'm enjoying the learning curve... This is my first garden!

Postby Ahem... » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Ahem...

Climate Zone: zone 10-11(microclimate
Ahem, I'm new, I love growing rare and exotic fruits. So far starting from rarest to least rarest i'm growing Mexican Mangosteen(Garcinia sp.), Jacana(Pouteria multiflora), Cafe Jaboticaba(Myrciaria trunciflora), Indian Mangosteen(Garcinia dulcis), Salak(Salacca zalacca), Blue Jaboticaba(Myrciaria vexator), Cabelluda(Myrciaria glomerata), White Jaboticaba(Myrciaria aureana), Jaboticaba(Myrciaria cauliflora(not M. jaboticaba), Rollinia, "Black Pearl" Wax Jambu(Heavy crops!), Surinam cherry, Paw-Paw, Allspice, Cinnamon, 3 dif. variety cherimoya (Honey Hart, Chaffey, Lisa)... it goes on and on and on and... I think you got the point,

Best Regards, Ahem...
Ahem...

Postby Natalie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Natalie

Climate Zone: Sunset 16
I've been following the forum for a while, but just joined to post my first question. I am relatively new to gardening. I love fruits, and always wanted to grow fruit trees, especially the less common varieties. Now, I am fortunate to have an opportunity to do so.
I am in the Bay Area, and was thinking of joining the CRFG chapter. I'll probably wait till the next meeting in Prusch park, where I hope to meet some of you in person.

Nataliya

Postby gardener » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:31 am

gardener

Climate Zone: tropic
Hi!
I'm Wan from Malaysia which is a tropical country. In my county there is only hot season and wet season (during 3 months monsoon period).
I love gardening,but due to limited space i only grew flower and vegetables in pot or polystrene box. End of this year i'll move to a house with half an acre garden. Currently i'm collecting plants that i want to grow in my garden. Most are tropical fruit trees but i would like to add figs too. Since fig tree is not available in my country, i googled the internet for seed cutting which i intend to buy and stumble on this great website.

greetings from Malaysia to all members.

Postby Mike McCright » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:06 am

Mike McCright

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 21
Cloud Forest Café Intro

Hi I am Mike McCright, I have a little farm near Escondido, CA. My climate zone is Sunset 21. I get frost but pretty little of it, lots of summer warmth and some late summer heat, bad Santa Anna winds. My land ranges from a hill top elevation about 1,950 feet with no frost most years to lots of frost down by the creek elevation about 1,750 feet. We get a little winter rain, so far from 4-37 inches averaging about 12-14 inches. Virtually no snow. Except for Santa Anna winds, It is pretty nice most of the time. My chill hours probably range from near zero at the top of the hill to about 600 down by the creek.

I grow lots of cool stuff from really big bamboos, most of the fruits that will fruit here, from bananas to cherries, I even have a couple of Bolivian mountain coconut palms. I tried a regular coconut but it died last winter when it we had lots of cold for a week. This week I ate fruit for the first time since moving here from my Jaboticaba.

I joined because I would be researching a fruit tree I wanted to try and over the past 2-3 years, the cloud forest café would come up. I have been growing cool fruits for a long time, first in Miami where I learned about growing tropicals with the Rare Fruit Council International and again with the CRFG in San Diego. I like the climate here but we do not get the warmth needed for most really good fruiting tropicals. I bounced around in the military so I did not get to taste a lot of the fruit I planted. I favor fruit trees over ornamental and garden produce.

Are there many socal gardeners in this group? Is anybody in socal getting canistel fruit? I really liked them in Miami. How about Mamey Sapote or Sapodilla. I don’t mind taking care of a tree as long as I get something back, Are you papaya growers happy with your fruit quality? Some of you guys are cutting edge fruit growers. I am going to plant about 4 seedling mangos, do you know of good fruiting varieties that grow better, as in more vegetative growth than Oro?

I am a working farmer and don't have a lot of time for computer work, so m replies and posts will likely be sporatic.

Thanks

Mike McCright

Postby HBDAN » Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 pm

HBDAN

Climate Zone: 9
Hello to everyone. I am so amazed at how many interesting and knowledgeable members there are out there! My name is Daniel. I reside in Huntington Beach, California where the mild weather makes growing avocado trees,my current obsession, much easier than I had it in the inland empire, where I moved from just over a year ago. I love growing other subtropical fruit trees, roses, blueberries, raspberries, sages, cycads, dioons, and just about anything else that catches my eye. I have been fascinated with all things green since a very young age. I remember buying my first bare root fruit tree when I was 13 years old. It was a Royal apricot tree. I still find it difficult for me to resist the temptation to get a plant or tree everytime I go to a garden center. Well, I am in the middle of project to replace my lawn with a butterfly and hummingbird garden. My biggest problem and biggest source of frustration is the lack of space to plant things. I also would like to have enough space for a large pond, but I can only dream for how.

Postby billmj » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:45 am

billmj

Hello, I am Will and I am from the UK, I don't have a big garden in London, but I come from the New Forest where I have some space to grow plants.

I haven't grown many tropical plants before, more an English country gardener, but I have just received some pouter lucuma seeds and would really appreciate some advice on how to germinate them from anyone with experience - I am thinking that as the plants grow high up in the Andes they may be able to survive some of the cold weather here once I have germinated them. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Will

Postby Axel » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:50 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest. Lucuma are very tender and damage at around 29F. They will not survive outdoors in the UK. Great for a greenhouse though if you can keep pruning the plant to keep it from turning into an enormous tree.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby yeti17 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:22 pm

yeti17

Climate Zone: USDA 10A
Hello! I'm Ron and I live in Orange County in southern California (zone 9b/10a, depending on who you ask). My wife and and I bought a home a few years ago and I'm thrilled that I have an actual yard for the first time in over 20 years!

We chose this home in part because of the decently sized yard (for socal suburbia) and the fact that there are already fruit trees from the previous owners: banana, cherimoya, fig, peach, plum, apricot, loquat, persimmon, apple, grape, orange, and mandarin orange.

I've since planted: feijoa (which I had in my backyard as a kid), white sapote, jujube, and cherry.

I recently joined the local CRFG chapter and am looking forward to discussing things with you all.

Postby HBDAN » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:34 pm

HBDAN

Hi Ron. Great to read your post. I too live in OC--HB. I am still working on getting at least some of the trees you mentioned going in my small back yard. Starting from nothing in a small yard is tough! Decisions, decisions. Anyway, welcome and good luck!

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:54 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login