• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

My "vanilla ice cream tree" from the South Pacific

Postby mari6745 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:39 pm

mari6745

Climate Zone: 20
Greetings from Ojai, CA. I am growing a "vanilla ice cream tree"in my bathroom which is now almost 4 feet tall. I bought the exotic fruit about a year ago at my local gourmet market one day and out of curiosity planted some of the seeds.The seedling that "made it" is in a container and relentlessly shooting up like a weed. When I get my scanner hooked up I'll post an image.The fruit presents as milky white flesh amidst shiny black seeds similar to loquats or cherimoyas.This is all encased in light-green pods about 3 inches long. Problem is, I can't find info whatsoever on this thing anywhere in a plant book or online.The produce man didn't know the species/genus name... all he knew was they were from an island in the South Pacific. I suppose I could ask the owner/manager to look in his log who the supplier was for that shipment. In the meantime, anyone know of this tree or have tips?

Re: My "vanilla ice cream tree" from the South Pacific

Postby RodneyS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:53 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
I think you're referring to the Ice cream bean, inga edulis. I have a pacay seedling, inga feuillei. They have bean pods w/ edible white pulp around black seeds.

Postby mari6745 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:19 pm

mari6745

Hello Rodney, I may have a possible match and the correct name to boot! Thank you. My indoor garden also houses a prayer plant that just celebrated a 50 year B-day...my folks got it as a wedding gift and then when they passed away I inherited it. It's up to me to ensure its' survival!

Postby Axel » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome! I also have a big ice cream bean tree growing outside. Its about 20-25 feet tall. I think it is inga feuillei.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby mari6745 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:51 am

mari6745

Hey Axel, thanks! I thought my plant was rare. NOT!! After visiting here for awhile I see my plant has some friends. So cool this site exists...Cheers.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:14 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login