• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Welcome padsfan from San Diego

Postby padsfan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:22 pm

padsfan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 24
Hi I live in San Diego near Mission Bay with a south facing lot that has lots of possibilities for fruit trees because of the full sun exposure almost all day for many parts of my yard. The weather here is typical coastal San Diego (overcast in the early summer but mostly warm and mild, not hot). I had a few light frosts this winter that humbled my bananas but they are already back and kicking full time.

I'm currently growing citrus (gold nugget, page, kishu mini, clementine de nules, algerian clementine, meyer lemon and a few seedlings), figs (king, black mission, vista), bananas (ice cream, manzano, Mexican grande), apples (dorsett golden), loquat (big jim), avocado (hass, pinkerton, reed, sharwill), surinam cherry seedling, guava (seedlings, nazemitz, tropic pink), persimmon (fuyu-jiro).

It's been fun so far tearing out my palms before they become telephone poles and adding fruit trees. I've been mulching heavily and have noticed a big difference over the past few years.

Looking to start adding some more deciduous fruit trees and cherimoya (fino de jete) in the future but am starting to get concerned about water prices. I have been lurking on the board for a long time now and finally feel like I should introduce myself. 8-)

Re: It's time for introductions!

Postby RodneyS » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:25 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Welcome to the CloudForest, padsfan!

Re: Welcome padsfan from San Diego

Postby Axel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Padsfan, how do your Dorsett Golden trees grow? Do you get multiple crops a year?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby padsfan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:28 pm

padsfan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 24
Oh yes, Dorsett Golden is a great apple for this area. I remove the leaves in December because they won't defoliate by themselves. The trees were in full bloom earlier this year and I'll get my first crop around May/June. The second (smaller) crop is in the fall.

Fruits are sweet for an apple but can be picked early for more tartness. They will get puffy if they sit too long though. I don't know how well they keep because I eat them all fast. It's a vigorous, productive tree and I would recommend it to anyone in Sunset 24.

Postby Axel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
My Dorsett Golden is one of my favorite early Summer apples, but I only get one crop a year, that's it.

When does the second bloom take place and when do they typically ripen?

It's an amazing low chill apple. Have you tried any of the other ones like Anna for example?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login