• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Please welcome new members here and if you have not introduced yourself yet, take a minute to let people know a little bit about yourself.

Do you know the way to San Jose

Postby sanjosefool » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 pm

sanjosefool

Climate Zone: San Jose 9b
Hello from San Jose (near 85 & Camden). I've lurked on the forum for a while and finally did a couple of posts earlier in the week.

My wife and I bought our house a year ago and I've been building an "edible landscape" ever since. If you can't eat it I don't want it!! (Although wife wins sometimes and we have a minority of ornamentals).

Here is a video of my passionfruit vine (Frederick). I ripped out a deck when we moved in and used the wood for the trellis. Everything is young in my yard but in the future I'm sure I'll have plenty of cuttings to share.

http://flic.kr/p/aBoTRt

I haven't found out much about Currants here in San Jose but I have 4 red varieties that I'm having a go at. Otherwise lots of the usual suspects, stone fruit, citrus, caneberries, poms & figs, some guavas, etc etc....

Re: Do you know the way to San Jose

Postby Axel » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the Cloudforest. That's a beautiful trellis, and a very healthy passion vine. The fruit certainly looks yummy! With the shade you can now grow arctic kiwis under the trellis.

Our garden is mostly edible but we love tropical foliage, so there are a lot of palms and broad leafed evergreens that don't necessarily produce fruit.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby sanjosefool » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:10 pm

sanjosefool

Climate Zone: San Jose 9b
Thanks,

I've debated non-fuzzy kiwi's. I've heard/read a whole range of opinions regarding taste but never tried one myself. I do like the fuzzy kiwi, skin and all. Maybe I'll run into an arctic or hardy somewhere someday to try.

Postby nullzero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:04 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Welcome to the forums, I would give it a shot and grow some Hardy Kiwis (non fuzzy). May want to take a look at Ken's Red, you will need different male pollinator as well to set fruit.

Return to Introductions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login