• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Forum for palm and tropical garden lovers in the Pacific Northwest who enjoy creating a tropical look in the heat challenged climate of the Pacific Northwest.

It's been a very long busy summer...

Postby CJW_Asia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:57 pm

CJW_Asia
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA Z9a
I am very sorry that I didn't get a chance to post on here during the "summer" and late spring, however I've got some interesting pictures that some of you might find interesting. Also some updates on a few things I have been working on.
I have been involved with one of the local colleges over the past few months teaching a combination of Cambridge AE, IELTS and CLB leveled classes. Combine this with marking and family coming from ROK, the schedule has been crammed full.

Now for some interesting news. (subtropical plants)

I have got a few more plants in my collection now, namely Lycium barbarum, Zanthoxylum schinifolium, Hydrangea serrata (from Bijarim on Jejudo), Persea/Machilus Thunbergii (from Busan) and a very quickly growing Cinnamomum Camphora (now ~3ft tall) from California.
As all of you know we just came through a wickedly cold winter with a prolonged cold spell that lasted well into the first week of April. Though my minimum temperatures didn't fall below -4c, the below 0c temps certainly stuck around for far longer than normal and as such there was some damage done to things that I normally don't see damage on.. I lost my some of my bananas even though they were insulated. :(
I had cold burn on some of the leaves on my 15ft Cinnamomum septentrionale tree.
(Cinnamomum inunctum (Nees) Meissn. var. albosericeum gamble)

However, there were some major surprises. Both the Cinnamomum camphora and the P.thunbergii thrived, and with the summer heat grew amazingly fast.
Neither plant had any damage on them.
Attachments
IMG_E2972.JPG
My large accidental tree. Cinnamomum septentrionale ( Cinnamomum inunctum (Nees) Meissn. var. albosericeum gamble)

This tree now requires spring pruning as it is so large. trunk caliper is 5.5" diameter. 4gal size to this in about 6 years. hard pruning forces the tree to produce breathtakingly fragrant red/bronzy foliage. The bark when rubbed smells distinctly of camphor and safrole oil.
(very medicinal)
IMG_E2972.JPG (337.62 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
IMG_2933.jpg
P.thunbergii (formerly machilus) seed from 2014 in Busan
IMG_2933.jpg (322.71 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
IMG_2944.jpg
C.camphora growing very well . 1 m in height now. This is a super duper pungent tree. All parts smell strongly of camphor even when lightly rubbed.
IMG_2944.jpg (211.55 KiB) Viewed 1731 times

Re: It's been a very long busy summer...

Postby CJW_Asia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 pm

CJW_Asia
Cloudforest Expert

More pictures from my yard. :D
Attachments
IMG_E2943.JPG
Szechuan pepper tree with very nasty thorns.. This is also a very strong smelling tree that contains a significant %age of piperdine alkaloids. To give you an idea of the smell... imagine lemongrass with a hint of pepper to it. This one is originally from Yunnan PRC and grown on the lower mainland. The flavour is very aromatically hot and goes directly to the sinuses! You can also just see a couple of Camphor leaves protruding into the shot. .... The raised bed is getting kind of full now. I am going to have to transplant the camphor soon (carefully) as it is quickly outgrowing the bed.
IMG_E2943.JPG (256.06 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
IMG_E2931.JPG
bananas don't look so good.... palms are all doing well.
IMG_E2931.JPG (286.79 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
IMG_2965 2.JPG
After the summer heat. C.Septentrionale. looking through the second story window.
IMG_2965 2.JPG (276.85 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
Last edited by CJW_Asia on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby CJW_Asia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:40 pm

CJW_Asia
Cloudforest Expert

More photos.
Attachments
IMG_E2935.JPG
Cinnamomum japonicum loaded with seeds this year. Seeds are far larger now than in this photo. They are almost ready to be harvested. ~ in a couple more weeks.
IMG_E2935.JPG (188.43 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
IMG_E2939.JPG
Tracycarpus fortunei and T.fortunei var. Winsan
IMG_E2939.JPG (301.73 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
IMG_2928.jpg
Albizia julibrissin. This year for whatever reason the flowers were highly scented. perfumy. I've never noticed this before.
IMG_2928.jpg (215.24 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

Postby CJW_Asia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 pm

CJW_Asia
Cloudforest Expert

Final post for my yard.
Attachments
IMG_2946.jpg
Hydrangea serrata from Jejudo (Bijarim) This "tree/large shrub" is used to make Isul-cha (korea), or amacha (in Japan). This plant contains a potent sweetener called phyllodulcin an dihydroisocoumarin. It is 400-800x sweeter than cane sugar with no side effects. The leaves of this plant can be dried/ slightly ferment and turn black. Once black and dried the leaves are steeped in hot water for 5-10 minutes and consumed.

Hydrangea macrophylla can also be used to produce tea as well.
IMG_2946.jpg (145.33 KiB) Viewed 1714 times

Return to PNW Palms and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:06 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login