• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Forum for palm and tropical garden lovers in the Pacific Northwest who enjoy creating a tropical look in the heat challenged climate of the Pacific Northwest.

A UK garden meet

Postby Kev Spence » Fri May 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Kev Spence
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b
HI Guys I thought these pics might be of interest to some of you guys across the pond.
This is central England near the east coast and the efforts that Keith and Melissa go to grow exotics plants.

So after visiting Urban Jungle nearby we were all kindly invited round to Keith and Melissa's house for tea cake and a viewing of their lovely garden.
Melissa mentioned its not exactly the best time of year for visiting but I found it really interesting seeing the efforts they go to keep the winter cold at bay.
This something I have done from day one and you can get some really good results with a little effort or in Keith's place lots of effort.

I think Melissa mentioned this Trachy in their front garden got the ball rolling

Schefflera impressa looked suitably impressive.

Sadly quite a few ferns were killed in 2010 Cyathea australis one of these

Washingtonia with protection

David Matzdorf, Keith and Mark above

Andy Martin, John Prescott and Jackie

Apparently this Chamaerops was a beast to install

Dicksonia were all flushing well

A nice Yucca glauca below these things are rock hard

X.glauca below

I love Keith's attention to detail

A couple of group shots one whilst they were messing about and the proper one

Re: A UK garden meet

Postby John(Aberdeen) » Sun May 14, 2017 8:20 am

John(Aberdeen)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 8
Beautiful plants Kev! You guys are light years ahead of us with the number and types of plants available. I always enjoy seeing your pictures either here or on GOTE.
I really like the size and look of the Schefflera rhododendrifolia (S. impressa) in your pictures. I hope mine get that big. What type of temperatures is this plant subjected in this garden?
Dan Hinkley has finally opened the flood gate of Schefflera. Many of the local plantsmen have this now, as seedlings, from Mr. Hinkley. He is friends with the owners of Crug Farms and has been on many plant collecting trips with them. They list him as one of the collectors, which made people like me frustrated that these fine plants weren't available here.
I now have 8 Schefflera in my garden. Most from Mr. Hinkley, three from another plant collector, Steve Hootman, Director of the Rhododendron Species Foundation garden in Federal Way, WA.

Re: A UK garden meet

Postby Kev Spence » Sun May 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Kev Spence
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b
Hi John the Schefflera rhodendrifolia was simply massive as big if not bigger than some I have seen in Cornwall 300 miles further south it would have taken a similar temp to what I got in 2010 2 weeks sub zero and -11c......glad you liked the pics I was beginning to think there was nobody here.....lol

Return to PNW Palms and Exotics

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login