• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Forum for palm lovers and creating a tropical look in heat challenged climates.

My Hog Weed

Postby Banana Joe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:21 am

Banana Joe
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: 8b/9
Beautiful large tropical looking leaves and cool flowers. Just don't get the plant sap on you. I know most of you don't like this plant, but it has always been one of my favorites.

Re: My Hog Weed

Postby CJW_Asia » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 am

CJW_Asia
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z9a - Z6b
That is a nice looking Giant Hogweed.
They do look interesting and sort of prehistoric. :mrgreen:

Postby oregonalex » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:53 pm

oregonalex

Climate Zone: -
In case someone else is tempted (from Wikipedia):

"Giant Hogweed is a phototoxic plant. Its sap can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations) when the skin is exposed to sunlight or to UV-rays. Initially the skin colours red and starts itching. Then blisters form as in burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars that can last several years. Hospitalisation may be necessary. Presence of minute amounts of sap in the eyes can lead to temporary or even permanent blindness. These reactions are caused by the presence of linear derivatives of furocoumarin in its leaves, roots, stems, flowers and seeds. These chemicals can get into the nucleus of the epithelial cells, forming a bond with the DNA, causing the cells to die. The brown colour is caused by the production of melanin by furocoumarins. In Germany, where this plant has become a real nuisance, there were about 16,000 victims in 2003"

This plant has caused a massive problem in Europe. It is a punishable offense to plant this in the UK and to import it or transport it across state lines in the US.

I don't like plant police like the next guy, but I think it is extremely unwise to cultivate this plant.

Postby Banana Joe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Banana Joe
Cloudforest Guru

CJW_Asia wrote:That is a nice looking Giant Hogweed.
They do look interesting and sort of prehistoric. :mrgreen:

I really don't give a rat's a** what other gardeners think. I love this plant, just like I like many other plants which may be poisonous or sharp. By mid Summer this plant will be toast due to drought. I will shoot a video of the Hog Weed when they start to die off from lack of H2O. They are beautiful looking tropical looking plants.

Postby Banana Joe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Banana Joe
Cloudforest Guru

oregonalex wrote:In case someone else is tempted (from Wikipedia):

"Giant Hogweed is a phototoxic plant. Its sap can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations) when the skin is exposed to sunlight or to UV-rays. Initially the skin colours red and starts itching. Then blisters form as in burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars that can last several years. Hospitalisation may be necessary. Presence of minute amounts of sap in the eyes can lead to temporary or even permanent blindness. These reactions are caused by the presence of linear derivatives of furocoumarin in its leaves, roots, stems, flowers and seeds. These chemicals can get into the nucleus of the epithelial cells, forming a bond with the DNA, causing the cells to die. The brown colour is caused by the production of melanin by furocoumarins. In Germany, where this plant has become a real nuisance, there were about 16,000 victims in 2003"
I have been growing it for more than 20 years and have never had a problem. My garden is full of toxic plants. Plants are put on this earth for a purpose and when people want to eradicate certain species it don't cut it with me. Eco-terrorism I like to call it. I am well aware of how dangerous Hog weed is and so are my kids. Don't break the stalks or foliage and get sap on your skin and in your eyes and you'll be just fine. Admire from a distance, just like Nerium oleander. Deadly Poisonous and I grow that too and so do many others. Daphne laureola same thing, grow lots of it . The list goes on. They told me I can't grow Hemp either, but I did. I love the looks of that plant. I like all plants, just some more than others.

I don't like plant police like the next guy, but I think it is extremely unwise to cultivate this plant.

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Gord
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8a
I guess if Joe is careful not to let it spread and to wear protection while touching it, it should be OK. It's not like he's selling it.

Daphne laureola

Postby CJW_Asia » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:50 pm

CJW_Asia
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z9a - Z6b
I was just doing a search on Daphnetoxin C38 H38 02 . Looks like it is being considered to be a candidate to be used in anti-tumor/cancer research. neat! Another reason to take advantage of spreading "noxious" weeds. We are growing to help humanity!
(x)coumarin also has potential for cancer research esp, Skin Cancer. I was just reading a journal on it. Hog Weed has a high % vol of Coumarin as well even better than that of Daphne L.

Well. enjoy. Tell that to the plant police Joe! :mrgreen:

Keep sending us interesting videos!

Postby Banana Joe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Banana Joe
Cloudforest Guru

Gord wrote:I guess if Joe is careful not to let it spread and to wear protection while touching it, it should be OK. It's not like he's selling it.

Right on! Most of All of our medicines and cures for illness come from plants. Hog Weed has a purpose on this planet and to eradicate it is stupid. These native plant people on our island along with the invasive species plant group can F*#k right off as far as I'm concerned. I don't agree with them one bit. They think they are helping by removing this and that plant they think is screwing up our ecosystem, yet they drive cars that push blue smoke out the rear end. What a joke!

Re: Daphne laureola

Postby Banana Joe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Banana Joe
Cloudforest Guru

CJW_Asia wrote:I was just doing a search on Daphnetoxin C38 H38 02 . Looks like it is being considered to be a candidate to be used in anti-tumor/cancer research. neat! Another reason to take advantage of spreading "noxious" weeds. We are growing to help humanity!
(x)coumarin also has potential for cancer research esp, Skin Cancer. I was just reading a journal on it. Hog Weed has a high % vol of Coumarin as well even better than that of Daphne L.

Well. enjoy. Tell that to the plant police Joe! :mrgreen:

Keep sending us interesting videos!

Thanks for the good info. CJW

Postby John(Aberdeen) » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:08 am

John(Aberdeen)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 8
Joe, I like your way of thinking and your giant Hog Weed.

Many years ago, one of my neighbor's cows reached through the fence and dined on one of my rhododendrons. The next day it died. Come to find out from the vet that rhododendrons are very toxic. Like you said Joe, many of the plants we grow and enjoy are toxic if we misuse them.

Next

Return to Palms and The Tropical Look

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:49 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login