• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Forum for palm lovers and creating a tropical look in heat challenged climates.

Podocarpus matudae and Magnolia lanuginosa

Postby DanG » Wed May 02, 2012 12:28 pm

DanG
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 5, USDA zone 9a
Here are a couple of new plants that I am trying out this spring. Other than what it says on the tags they came with I have no knowledge of how they want to be cultivated or of how they might do under Pacific Northwest conditions, any advice? I would like to put the magnolia someplace with overhead shelter from large trees but wonder how much shade it can take and still bloom well.
magnolialan.jpg
magnolialan.jpg (92.43 KiB) Viewed 372 times

Podocarpus.jpg
Podocarpus.jpg (83.87 KiB) Viewed 372 times

pmml.jpg
pmml.jpg (45.18 KiB) Viewed 372 times

Re: Podocarpus matudae and Magnolia lanuginosa

Postby Thestales » Thu May 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Thestales
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 8b-9a wannabe
The Podocarpus is exciting. Seems like it would be totally hardy in my location.

Postby Vlad Pomajzl » Thu May 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Vlad Pomajzl
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 8
Looks like nice choices Dan for your climate. Regarding Podocarpus I only tried P. macrophylla and P. alpine. P. alpine expired after some enthusiastic weeding by my wife (I don't blame her, I do this myself all the time).

P. macrophylla is O.K. but not perfect. The top was broken by heavy snow a couple of years back, which why it is staked now, the deer damages some of the lower branches and there is a periodic die back of some foliage - probably nothing to do with frost, but I can't figure that one out.

In any case, snow seems to be the major problem with mine.

I have no advise on Magnolia lanuginosa. That one is clearly more suited to your area than mine.

BTW, that dead looking thing to the right of Podocarpus is Chitalpa. It does not flush out until the end of May or in June in these parts. But given enough sun, it blooms beautifully in August

Postby georgeinbandonoregon » Thu May 03, 2012 8:05 pm

georgeinbandonoregon
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9a/Sunset zone 5
the podocarpus has done just fine for me growing in the ground for several years with no damage so it should be good for you as well. have no knowledge of the magnolia so i can do is hope that it will prove satisfactory for you.

Return to Palms and The Tropical Look

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:39 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login