• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Best tasting cold hardy avocado?

Postby kingoceanos » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:04 pm

kingoceanos

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 8B
Hi, I thought I'd ask for opinions about the best tasting cold hardy avocado. Of course everything is subjective, but I am looking for the most Hass like or better taste in a cold hardy variety. I've had some (Florida) types that were pretty bad.
Thanks
P.S. sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.
Zone 8b

Re: Best tasting cold hardy avocado?

Postby silverdave1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:06 pm

silverdave1

Climate Zone: 15
Hi King Oceanos,
The cold hardy avocados from California, I'm most familiar with would only extend to zone 9. For the most bullet proof commonly sold avocado in 8b, you're pretty much left with Mexicola (not Mexicola Grande)... Which is actually a good thing. It's a delicious little avocado with an edible skin that a lot of folks like.

That said, if you search this forum, like I have, when planting my own avocados, folks have been lots of discussions around this topic. I also considered the Florida / Texas varieties, like Brazos Belle, but there simply isn't a whole lot of good feedback on quality of these for me to make that decision.

I'm still learning too, and there may be some CVs I'm not aware of.

Good luck!

Postby kingoceanos » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:19 pm

kingoceanos

I've got a few mexican unkowns, a stuart, bacon, brogdon and a greengold. So far I've protected them from our freezes with a huge frame, tarps and floodlights during freezes.Almost all are going into bloom for the first time now. I am hoping to try some of them this year. Still looking for a few cultivar scions (Sharwil, Carmen Hass, and the Ibis avocado described on this site years ago.)Yes I have heard a lot of the negative reviews on the Florida variety's although I've only tried a slimcado from our grocery store. It was okay in a salad but would have made terrible guacamole.

Postby Oolie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
The Aravaipa is said to be a very abuse tolerant plant that produces a fruit similar to Fuerte.

Postby kingoceanos » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:47 am

kingoceanos

Thanks, I've read about that one and honestly I'm thinking about getting one. The only draw back is the size, it is supposedly one huge tree.

Postby Oolie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:34 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
Though no guarantee, vigor is often a sign of hardiness, as plants that can put on extra growth in short order are often better able to stave the harsh conditions they may face.

Good luck, and if you have difficulty locating scionwood for this cultivar, I know someone with a tree.

Postby kingoceanos » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:44 pm

kingoceanos

Thank you. I will let you know :D

Postby kingoceanos » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:21 am

kingoceanos

Hi, Oolie, after a little thought if the person you know with the tree had any seeds available I would love to get some of those. I don't know if his tree is fruit bearing yet though.
Thanks

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:01 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login