• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Re: Check my avocado varieties

Postby CTMIAMI » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:10 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10b
Steve, that poundcake in the links looks goooood.

Postby Axel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:51 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
If people are going to make zucchini bread, then why not make avocado bread?

I'll share with folks how I would bake avocado bread, I think my version is a lot better, because it takes advantage of how well avocado and coconut go together. Here's my recipe:

Sugar Free Avocado Coconut Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup shredded coconut

2 ripe Hass avocados (adjust for larger or smaller avocads)
1/2 cup coconut butter or substitute with one additional avocado and 1/4 cup coconut butter for a lower calorie version
1-1/2 cups xylitol (you can put sugar in here if you prefer)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup rice milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix dry ingredients first except xylitol: flour, cornmeal, salt, shredded coconut, baking powder or baking soda.

Mix wet ingredients and xylitol in another bowl: xylitol, four eggs, coconut butter, avocados, coconut milk, rice milk. First mash with a spoon or fork, then use a mixer to get it to froth a bit. It's important to put the xylitol in with the liquids because it dissolves more slowly than sugar.

Use two standard bread loaf pans and divide up the dough between the two. Make sure to oil the pans first. Place in a pre-heated oven at 325F.

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Make sure to let it cool before trying to remove from the pan. The cold exterior will make the interior bread condense liquid on the pan to make it easier to remove. Sometimes, placing the bread pans in ice water accelerates the process.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:40 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Axel

Interesting, Avocado/Coconut bread. Being wheat intolerant, I make my cakes and etc mostly from brown rice flour. The base of my cakes are generally rice flour and fine natural shredded coconut, as coconut seems to satisfy my bodies cravings and makes me feel better. I have learned to modify it for a occasional taste change, by adding a little Cinnamon, vanilla, and other spices and even coco powder. Add 1/3 cup of coco powder to a 9 x9 inch recipe for coconut macaroon cake, and talk about heavenly.

Have never thought about avocados, but why not.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby MarkN » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:02 am

MarkN
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b
Carlos, what an excellent website you have! Articulate, detailed to the max....thanks for sharing. I'm definately gonna follow your progress. Surprised you don't have Brogdon.

BTW, I'm the one that called you about 6 months ago about the Reed and some others like Oro Negro. Texas, greenhouse grower.

Postby CTMIAMI » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:52 pm

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Thanks MarkN. I agree I should add Brogdon to my collection. I have been concentrating on getting quality fruit that would mature on Feb-March. So I have been experimenting and locating some varieties to test. It is a slow process. I dont remember the conversation is there any thing you need from what I have?

Postby MarkN » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:07 pm

MarkN
Cloudforest Expert

I'm good to go, thanks so much for the kind offer! Also, appreciate your time with me and your passion and will definately stay tuned.

I reviewed your excellent YouTube grafting ditty and even though I've never done cleft or veneer grafting before, looks like all 9 took. Grafted to your Florida "greens" that I started from seed last year. 3 are on the Brogdon too and are pushing. I'm trying to keep the Brogdon new growths below the grafts pinched off as much as possible, assuming that I need the transference of auxins, the apical terminal effect, in the scion wood, not below it in the Brogdon. The Brogdon wood wants to push bad. Am I on the right track?

Gwen, a seedling of Hass, Kona Sharwil, and Reed is what I got from Dr. Mary Lu Arpaia and Eric Focht. I'm hoping that the soon to be installed swamp coolers will stimulate the cooler upland conditions of Guatemala. We have fairly low RH.

Regards,
Mark

Postby CTMIAMI » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:16 pm

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Seems you are on the right track. What is the temperature where you are now?

Postby MarkN » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm

MarkN
Cloudforest Expert

I'm still tweaking my new greenhouse regarding cooling but it's been upwards of 100F during the day, most nights in the 60's. Today had a high of about 84F.

Postby CTMIAMI » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 pm

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Large Temp erature Spread. How about humidity?

Postby MarkN » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:51 am

MarkN
Cloudforest Expert

CTMIAMI wrote:Large Temp erature Spread. How about humidity?

Ambient RH, outside, is low like 20% - 40% at 4:00 p.m. during the summer months. I am about 55 miles due west of Austin TX. I'm expecting 2 swamp coolers in any day now. Both rated 5,500 cfm for a greenhouse of about 1,080 s.f. My goal is to replicate cool coastal conditions with days below 90F and RH around 60%. Kool-Ray paint shading of the west and east wall is next.

BTW, do you know of any one, in any part of the country, that has successfully fruited avocado exclusively under a greenhouse roof? I'm like you, a pioneer of sorts. I can't connect with anyone that has successfully grown avocados in a greenhouse.

Whatever works, stays, Whatever doesn't is replaced until I find the right mix. You're going for seasonal harvests, sounds like spring. I'm just crossing my fingers hoping this thing works. I might be hitting you up for some of your budwood in the future, reason why I'm gonna keep a close eye on what you're doing.

Thanks

PreviousNext

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:19 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login